Question Do I have to buy a Online Double Conversion UPS instead of line-interactive UPS to protect myself during a file transfer to a external HD?

Jul 31, 2024
Is it absolutely necessary that I buy a Online Double Conversion UPS over a line-interactive UPS to protect against power loss during file transfers?

Imagine that I'm transferring files to all three of my HD's, and the power goes on - will a line-interactive UPS be good enough to protect me against the slight delay between the power switch that the Online Double Conversion claims to fix?

If so, what are your suggestions? Thank-you in advance...I really need help with this issue.

kanewolf

Titan
Is it absolutely necessary that I buy a Online Double Conversion UPS over a line-interactive UPS to protect against power loss during file transfers?

Imagine that I'm transferring files to all three of my HD's, and the power goes on - will a line-interactive UPS be good enough to protect me against the slight delay between the power switch that the Online Double Conversion claims to fix?

If so, what are your suggestions? Thank-you in advance...I really need help with this issue.
There is no definite way to answer this. Ever device has different sensitivity to AC changes. Every line interactive will have some voltage drop and/or waveform variation when transition happens. Will that cause a problem? We can't tell you yes or no with any certainty.
You can always run a CRC check on the source file and destination file to ensure they are identical. Delete and recopy if not identical.

If you live somewhere that there are frequent AC issues, then the guaranteed answer is a double conversion UPS.

Reactions: purplebuttons
Jul 31, 2024
There is no definite way to answer this. Ever device has different sensitivity to AC changes. Every line interactive will have some voltage drop and/or waveform variation when transition happens. Will that cause a problem? We can't tell you yes or no with any certainty.
You can always run a CRC check on the source file and destination file to ensure they are identical. Delete and recopy if not identical.

If you live somewhere that there are frequent AC issues, then the guaranteed answer is a double conversion UPS.
Let me rephrase: Is a line-interactive good enough to protect the average external hard drive against AC changes? I'm willing to buy the best, or second best Line-interactive UPS if it does.

What brands do you recommend for Double Conversion UPS'?

I really appreciate you answering me too, because I saw you in a old thread talking about the same thing.

kanewolf

Titan
Let me rephrase: Is a line-interactive good enough to protect the average external hard drive against AC changes? I'm willing to buy the best, or second best Line-interactive UPS if it does.

What brands do you recommend for Double Conversion UPS'?

I really appreciate you answering me too, because I saw you in a old thread talking about the same thing.
I can't answer that. I would be surprised if anyone can answer that. There is no "average" external disk.
I personally use APC Smart-UPS Online 1500VA units. I purchase them used on E-Bay and install new batteries. Have the seller ship without batteries to minimize the shipping costs.

Jul 31, 2024
I can't answer that. I would be surprised if anyone can answer that. There is no "average" external disk.
I personally use APC Smart-UPS Online 1500VA units. I purchase them used on E-Bay and install new batteries. Have the seller ship without batteries to minimize the shipping costs.
Yeah, I actually looked them up whenever you mentioned it in the other thread.

Thanks for the help.