Do i have to buy a power supply for this graphics card?

iUnderatedKid

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
I have a lenovo motherboard and I was wondering if the EVGA GTX 1050TI can just run off the motherboard. My power supply is 180W.

Solution
Absolutely, yes.

The minimum power requirement for the 1050Ti is 300W, you don't have as near as that with that PSU.
Putting a GPU in a rig without proper a power supply could lead to very dangerous situations for you rig as a whole.

It will be powered by the MOBO yes, but it will still draw as much energy as it would from a PSU. Those pre-made PCs are made to work what they have within them, any change on that may lead to have to change other things as well.

If you're looking for a cheap solution for this, try to get yourself a CX450M or a SeaSonic S12 520W.

manddy123

Admirable
Absolutely, yes.

The minimum power requirement for the 1050Ti is 300W, you don't have as near as that with that PSU.
Putting a GPU in a rig without proper a power supply could lead to very dangerous situations for you rig as a whole.

It will be powered by the MOBO yes, but it will still draw as much energy as it would from a PSU. Those pre-made PCs are made to work what they have within them, any change on that may lead to have to change other things as well.

If you're looking for a cheap solution for this, try to get yourself a CX450M or a SeaSonic S12 520W.

Solution

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

I think RARRAF is closer to the truth.

* The graphics card can (want to) draw 75W from the motherboard.
* With an 180W PSU that leaves 100W for everything else, and assuming you don't have a monster CPU it just might be sufficient, albeit somewhat below recommended.
* Potential problems:
1) The PSU's ability to distribute power to each voltage might not match the need if you add a 75W graphics card. (This is where the 300W PSU recommendation comes into play.)
2) The motherboard might not be designed to deliver as much as 75W through the PCIe slot. (An all too common problem with pre-built computers.)

Consult your computer's manual to see if it can handle a 75W load on the PCIe slot.
Also notice that even if supplying power isn't a problem, the increased (doubled?) power draw will also double the heat generated and thus stress the computer's cooling.

manddy123

Admirable
@Olle P
While i totally agree with you, i dislike working with chances. Imagine if he gets a brand new GPU and put it in and fry anything?
So, even tho it's a more expensive option, going with a 1050Ti that requires a PSU and a newer PSU as well is the safest bet IMHO.

But still, nice of you to point those out, :)

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
As do I, which is why I suggested to read the manual!
A more powerful PSU won't help if it fries the motherboard.

First make sure the motherboard can transfer that much current. If not you'll need a better motherboard or an anemic graphics card.
Then figure out if the PSU is up to the task. If not you'll need something slightly more powerful.