[SOLVED] Do I have to disconnect old router before I set up new one?

DeathTongue

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
I'm about to upgrade to a more powerful router to get better service in the remote corners of my house, and I'm wondering if I can just set up this new router without touching the old router? I have a cable modem that supplies my internet and it has 5 ports like the one that goes to the current router. I would prefer to keep the current router working until the new one is confirmed to be working properly and have internet, to keep my family from bugging me about when the internet will be working again. Any thoughts?

Solution
It depends on what improvement you're looking for. If it's wifi, you can set up the new one as an access point off the existing router and test that way, and then once you're convinced, reset and reconfigure the new one and swap it with the old one.

If it's the actual routing performance you're wanting, then no way to test it other than trying it.

USAFRet

Titan
Is this new one going to replace the old one?

If so, the cable coming in to the house needs to connect to it.
So the old one has to go, and then connect the new one, and let it sync with your ISP.

Also, "more powerful"....most routers already broadcast at about the legal max.
A newer router in that same place may not bring the benefits you seek.

DeathTongue

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
rather than more powerful, let's say replace a 10 year old router with a new one. And the actual cable from the cable company attaches to the modem itself, which is then attached to the router by a ethernet cable.

USAFRet

Titan
rather than more powerful, let's say replace a 10 year old router with a new one. And the actual cable from the cable company attaches to the modem itself, which is then attached to the router by a ethernet cable.
OK, so individual modem and router boxes.
The ISP only sees the modem, so no issue there.

Yeah, you can probably do most of the setup on the new one, then swap.

It depends on what improvement you're looking for. If it's wifi, you can set up the new one as an access point off the existing router and test that way, and then once you're convinced, reset and reconfigure the new one and swap it with the old one.

If it's the actual routing performance you're wanting, then no way to test it other than trying it.

Solution