Do i have to reinstall windows after changing the mainboard and the processor

TranTD

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I'm using H81M-S2PV motherboard from Gigabyte and Pentium G3450 and i want to upgrade to B85-E45 and Core i5-4460.
So, if i do that, do i have to reinstall windows?
Also, i'm using windows 10 64-bit.

Solution
Probably not since you are simply moving between similar platforms. You probably won't have any trouble booting to the desktop using the old installation of Win10. But you will want to run something like CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry portions both to help clean up the left over crap from the old platform. Followed by installing the necessary drivers for the new board, of course. (although Win10 will install drivers from its database)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not since you are simply moving between similar platforms. You probably won't have any trouble booting to the desktop using the old installation of Win10. But you will want to run something like CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry portions both to help clean up the left over crap from the old platform. Followed by installing the necessary drivers for the new board, of course. (although Win10 will install drivers from its database)

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Their really no reason to change the motherboard just update the BIOS on the board you have and put the new processor in.
If you have revision 3.0 for the board (says the revision number on the lower left side of the board) you can just reset CMOS and install the new processor and nothing else to do.

TRENDING THREADS