[SOLVED] Do I have to update the bios if I put in the same (intel i5 12400F) cpu but with iGPU (intel i5 12400) in the msi z690 motherboard

Aug 3, 2022
I haven't used the motherboard yet... For a iGPU do I have to update the bios? In pcpartpicker when I put a intel i5 12400F it doesn't show any compatibility issues, but when I put in a intel i5 12400 It shows compatibility issues. Do I need to update the bios?

Solution
how do you do that?
The instructions are in the user manual which you should download.
MSI does not include the manual, a bad decision, I think.
Here is what it says:
The usb drive should be formatted as fat32.

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button 1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from the MSI® website. 2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive. 3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU and memory.) 4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel. 5. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing. 6. The LED will be turned off...
Motherboards will have the latest bios available at time of manufacture.
I have that same motherboard.
In the event you need to flash, the motherboard can do it without a cpu.

I might add that the 12400 comes with a perfectly adequate stock cooler. At least try it first.

how do you do that?
The instructions are in the user manual which you should download.
MSI does not include the manual, a bad decision, I think.
Here is what it says:

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button 1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from the MSI® website. 2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive. 3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU and memory.) 4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel. 5. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing. 6. The LED will be turned off when the process is comp

Be very patient during the process.
The only indicator might be a led flashing.
Do not interrupt the process; It might take 10 minutes.

A helpful tutorial:

Most likely, you will not need to do this, I would install the cpu and proceed normally. Once running, I do not reflash a bios unless it contains a fix for a problem that is bothering me.

On a new build, I update to currency. If there is a problem, nothing else is iimpacted.

Reactions: Justinplayz235
Solution