[SOLVED] Do i need 2 separate pci-e cables for rtx 2080ti ?

stoffrobert5

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
I was browsing the internet and i found a thread that said you should use 2 separate cables for a rtx 2080 ti but only use one pcie split cable and its working just fine. What should i do ?

Solution
Can i use 2 separate split cables ?
Yes. Should be fine.
Seasonic 650FX has single 12V rail. Main reason to use 2 cables - they will heat up less.

If there were multiple 12V rails, then there would be possible situation, when single rail can not provide enough power and psu protections would kick in.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
I would consider using 2 separate cables. Your talking about a $1200 dollar graphics card. Theoretically you should be ok but you sure don't want to overload that single cable and have something happen to your card. Just my opinion.
I agree you have a $1200 GPU that "COULD" be damaged by using a single cable. Why not spend a little bit of money and get a better PSU to protect your investment. I'd recommend this EVGA.

Yes. Should be fine.
Seasonic 650FX has single 12V rail. Main reason to use 2 cables - they will heat up less.

If there were multiple 12V rails, then there would be possible situation, when single rail can not provide enough power and psu protections would kick in.
Right, it's a two part issue. One being the cables can overheat, the second being the +12V rail becoming overloaded, which isn't an issue with a single +12V rail. So, you just have the issue of cables overheating. I would use two separate cables if you have the extra to spare, which I believe you do and that is why I asked which power supply you have. If Nvidia recommends two cables, then SeaSonic may not grant you the warranty if something goes wrong.

Yes, I've seen that recommendation on the nVidia website. I use both of my PSU's included split cables as 2 separate ones in order to power my card. More peace of mind.

I would point out another reason for using 2 separate cables. With the single split cable, in the event of a cable failure, there is a 33% chance of "double damage" if a power line on the cable fails. If a 12v line fails at the GPU end, you only lose one 12v line. There are 3 of the 12v pins on each of the two connectors, so 6 total, leaving you down by one if one of them fails. If it fails at the PSU end, you lose two 12v lines because it is a "Y" split adapter. There are 3 of the 12v pins on only one connector, so losing one of them means you're down 2 of them on the split end. Imagine losing two 12v lines under full load - you now have the equivalent of only two 6-pin PCIE connectors! That could cause heat really quick and things could spiral downward pretty fast if/when insulation starts melting.