[SOLVED] Do I need a DAC/AMP?

nathank72

Reputable
Oct 4, 2017
Hey all. I’ve recently been looking at some audiophile headphones for gaming. I’m looking at the Sennhesier HD 569 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD700x. First question is which one of those two is better for sound and which one would you guys recommend between those two? Second question is do I need a amp or dac or a combination of both for them to sound good and get my moneys worth out of them? I’m a complete audio noob and just need some guidance!!! I’ll be using them strictly for gaming and for working from home so I’ll be using them for long sessions. Thanks.

Solution
You get a DAC if you want something better than your current sound chip. The most common reason is to eliminate the possibility of picking up noise in the computer.

You get an amp if the DAC or sound chip outputs a signal that's too weak to drive the headphones. Unless you get headphones with an input impedance in the hundreds, you usually don't need one.

However, I recommend getting the headphones first, then judge for yourself if you need a DAC and/or an amp.
You get a DAC if you want something better than your current sound chip. The most common reason is to eliminate the possibility of picking up noise in the computer.

You get an amp if the DAC or sound chip outputs a signal that's too weak to drive the headphones. Unless you get headphones with an input impedance in the hundreds, you usually don't need one.

However, I recommend getting the headphones first, then judge for yourself if you need a DAC and/or an amp.

Reactions: hang-the-9
Solution