Do I need a new copy of Windows 10 if I switch mother boards?

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Hey community,

I’m thinking of jumping on the 8th Gen i7 train and getting a z370 MOBO. I love the way I have everything set up on my current build now, however, and I don’t want to change anything but the processor and MOBO. If I build in these two things am I going to have to reinstall windows and therefore all of my programs and games, etc. or can I just enter the product key info again and keep my current settings, etc.?

Thanks!

It's always recommended to reinstall your OS when switching to a different motherboard. If you have your Windows key you can just enter it on the new system, sometimes you have to tell Microsoft you are using new hardware.

You can also attach your copy of Windows to your Microsoft account and reactivate it on the new system by logging in to your account.

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
I've changed out 4 boards with the same oem license. Only once did I run into problems, I just used the chat feature and a Microsoft rep helped activate. Now I'm sure when I do icelake I may run into a problem but I'll do the chat first.

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

Thank you very much! So, ignorant question, but when I do reinstall, all of my locale files (games, programs, etc.) will need to be reinstalled? Even if I've only updated the MOBO and CPU and haven't touched anything on the SSDs (other than the OS I guess)? Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan

You have more than one drive?
Disconnect ALL other drives, except the one you that has the OS. Do this during the parts swap, reinstall needed or not.

Later, reconnect the others.
Steam games on the other drives are fine. Just have to tell the new Steam client about them.
And other application on a secondary drive would have to be reinstalled.

If a reinstall is needed, anything on the OS drive is gone as well.