[SOLVED] Do I need a new motherboard?

roylee1970

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2014
I bought a PC with the Ryzen 1800x in it a while back and it has has a problem with losing it's video connection. It will be running along fine then suddenly there will be a buzzing/vibrating noise and the display will say no connection. Most times it just does the no connection thing without the buzzing/vibrating. At first I thought it might be the GPU because I got still sealed untested warranty replacement on the GTX 1070 but recently I went ahead and put a GTX 1050 I knew was goo in there to see what happened. It does the same thing but not as often. Where the 1070 does this one time daily on average the 1050 was like 3 days between incidents. I also have issues installing storage drives whether internal or external. The computer is not happy with them and on externals I tend to lose my internet connection as a result and internals keep having errors. The CPU runs low 20's to High teens and I don't think I have ever seen it even hit 70c even with intensive gaming. The GPU also stays cool. The full system is wondows 10 home. ryzen 1800x, evga gtx 1070 ftw, AsRock AB350 pro4, Samsung 960 evo NVME SSd, Some off brand 750W 80+ Gold power supply and 16GB Crucial Ballistic RAM.
I have tried to include as much information as possible your help is truly appreciated.

roylee1970

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2014
Temps and cable connections look ok then? Latest UEFI? What off-brand power supply are you using? Any overclock involved?
Sorry don't remember the name of power supply and have to take it completely out to see it. There's no overclocking being done on anything. I would assume the UEFI Was up to date as of the time I bought it back in Sept. It was just built and the guy was up on everything.

roylee1970

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2014
OK. Any changes with software? PC moved at all? Was anything changed before problem started? Is your power supply modular? If so, maybe try different power cable.
No no changes and it did it from the start and yes the psu is modular. I have been looking into the bios and it appears I misread the version when I checked in the past and this is the original version. to get to the latest i need to go up 4 version then install something else before doing it. So to start I'm just going to get the version they require as a prerequisite for the latest and test it for a bit from there to see if things improve. If they do not then I will update to the latest. Seem like a good start?

Last edited:

roylee1970

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2014
Yes, good place to start. Possible its causing your issue. Beings its occurring with 2 different cards eliminates it being a GPU issue, or at least very unlikely.
I just wanted to reply it's been days now and seems to be working so that anyone else with the problem tries updating bios first. Thanks for your time.