Do I need a new SSD

mrclemsh

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
2 questions!
First I got an SSD from a family friend who works in a technical company etc etc.. this was approximately 4-5 years ago, it is an OCZ Deneva 2 SLC 240gb im working on building a new computer and im wondering if a Samsung 850 evo 240gb would be a major difference or if I need it at all, I primarily use my computer for gaming, I keep my OS and main games on the SSD and the rest on an HDD..

Also currently the OCZ is installed in my PC with my OS and everything else, would I be able to stick that SSD into my new computer (on which I changed all the hardware except for a recently upgrade GPU) would it boot just fine into windows with everything installed and no problems? Or how would I go about that?

Solution
SSD's do wear out faster than traditional hard drives, so if it is that old it might not be a bad idea to get a replacement to prevent catastrophic data failure. That being said, most SSD's should still last for a long time under normal usage, so it might not be a huge concern for you. Most SSD's saturate SATA III anyway, so to get a noticeable upgrade you'd need to go to an NVME SSD instead.

If you are using Windows 10, you might have some issues if you want to plug in the OCZ drive to the new PC because you changed the motherboard. If you registered the computer with your Microsoft account, then you'll just need to activate it, but if you only use local accounts you'll have issues activating Windows again. Older versions of Windows...

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
SSD's do wear out faster than traditional hard drives, so if it is that old it might not be a bad idea to get a replacement to prevent catastrophic data failure. That being said, most SSD's should still last for a long time under normal usage, so it might not be a huge concern for you. Most SSD's saturate SATA III anyway, so to get a noticeable upgrade you'd need to go to an NVME SSD instead.

If you are using Windows 10, you might have some issues if you want to plug in the OCZ drive to the new PC because you changed the motherboard. If you registered the computer with your Microsoft account, then you'll just need to activate it, but if you only use local accounts you'll have issues activating Windows again. Older versions of Windows and other OS's will only require the correct drivers to be installed, but they should mostly work.

Solution

mrclemsh

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Right on! Im thinking of getting the "SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-N5E250BW" from Newegg, the new motherboard is an evga z170 FTW, would I need to update the BIOS for the NVMe/M.2 memory to actually work? Or could I put the comp together and then boot from a USB that has a win10 install on it.