do i need a psu for a dell/hp brand tower pc

yusuf_xd

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
Looking forward to build a pc. I got an option of buying hp pro desk 400 g5 which is a hp tower pc hosting i5-8500 cpu, intel b360 mainboard, 4gb ram & 1 tera hdd. The link is http://www.bdstall.com/details/hp-prodesk-400-g5-core-i3-8th-gen-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-brand-pc-43226/
I want to know what else will i need?? Will a monitor complete the whole thing or will i need a psu(power supply) as well.

I got another one like this too which is called dell vostro 3670 mt with an i3 8100 cpu inside. Link is http://www.bdstall.com/details/dell-vostro-3670-mt-core-i3-8th-gen-1tb-hdd-desktop-tower-pc-43053/
I want to know the same thing? Do i need a psu and anything else??

Solution

You shouldn't. The power supplies that are included, will be small so any additional video card you want to add will have to be a lower end unit, like a 1030.

kanewolf

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from yusuf_xd : "What else do i need with a dell/hp brand tower pc"

kanewolf

Titan

No, you should be able to add RAM. I would always recommend that you buy a matched set of two DIMMs. Either 2x4GB or 2x8GB. That way you are guaranteed that the DIMMs will work together. Adding RAM to existing is always a gamble. You don't know if the new and old will play nicely.

kanewolf

Titan

You shouldn't. The power supplies that are included, will be small so any additional video card you want to add will have to be a lower end unit, like a 1030.

Solution
The PSUs Dell and HP use are sized to power the CPUs they come with and any slots and bays that are provided. They will usually power a GTX1050Ti in the PCIe slot even if the listed PSU power is 40-50W lower than suggested. Typically they don't have a 6 pin PCIe cable for more powerful cards unless it's a workstation or gaming/multimedia computer. In the business computer market a low PSU wattage is more attractive than a higher one. If you paid the electric bill for thousands of computers you would feel that way too.