Question Do I need a pure sine wave UPS?

Sep 17, 2019
I have a prebuilt HP Pavilion 590-p0045t desktop. My product specs say it has a 310 W internal power supply and Energy efficiency: EPEAT® Bronze registered; ENERGY STAR® certified. Does that mean it has an Active PFC power supply? Is there any way to know without opening up my PC tower? Do I need to get a pure sine wave UPS or is a simulated sine wave UPS like the CyberPower CP800AVR ok?

Last edited:

mangaman

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Anything with a Pure sine wave or a Modified (simulated) sine wave will be just fine. However, stay away from UPS's that have a square wave, as those are only good for chargers and very small applications.

Pure sinewave, simulated sinewave, clean sinewave, approcimated sinewave, modulated sinewave...whatever...are more or less same thing with different naming.
You need a UPS with such stuff to avoid issues with the PFC on the PSU.

jonnyguru

Distinguished
Pure sinewave, simulated sinewave, clean sinewave, approcimated sinewave, modulated sinewave...whatever...are more or less same thing with different naming.
You need a UPS with such stuff to avoid issues with the PFC on the PSU.
Well... Pure sine wave is a pure sine wave. You're correct about the rest, though. They all have square waves.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts