[SOLVED] Do I need a USG and a UCK?

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
I plan on buying some Ubiquiti networking gear for a house I'm about to move into. I want to connect maybe 2 or 3 Wireless Access Points using a POE switch. And maybe 2 routers set as repeaters so I can connect some PCs via ethernet. But I'm confused if I need a Unifi Security Gate and a Unifi Cloud Key

My understanding of the set up is: Modem/Router Box (from ISP) -> POE switch -> WAPs and/or routers(AP)

But I keep seeing videos on YouTube of people using a USG and UCK. I don't plan on doing any advanced configuration, just want to set it and forget it. Do I need those 2 extra pieces of equipment?

Solution
I plan on buying some Ubiquiti networking gear for a house I'm about to move into. I want to connect maybe 2 or 3 Wireless Access Points using a POE switch. And maybe 2 routers set as repeaters so I can connect some PCs via ethernet. But I'm confused if I need a Unifi Security Gate and a Unifi Cloud Key

My understanding of the set up is: Modem/Router Box (from ISP) -> POE switch -> WAPs and/or routers(AP)

But I keep seeing videos on YouTube of people using a USG and UCK. I don't plan on doing any advanced configuration, just want to set it and forget it. Do I need those 2 extra pieces of equipment?
If the ISP device is a router, then you don't have to have a USG (or UDM). You do...
I am sure ubiquiti would like you to buy more stuff. The security gate is one of their firewalls, not sure what the cloud key is.
The really nice thing about ubiquiti is the controller for the AP is not a $30,000 box like some manufactures. The software is free and you don't even have to use it if you don't want in simple networks.

You should need nothing other than a PoE switch and the AP. I would be careful about using routers as repeaters. You want to be sure they don't actually retransmit the wifi signal if you are only going to use them as ethernet connected devices. Really there is no big advantage to hooking ethernet to a repeater or just using a USB connected wifi card.

kanewolf

Titan

If the ISP device is a router, then you don't have to have a USG (or UDM). You do have to have some kind of router. There are benefits to having a Ubiquiti router.
Do you need a cloud key? NO. Are there benefits? Yes. A cloud key si aan always-on network monitor and configuration portal. I had a cloud ky (gen 1) and replaced it with a PI 4B.
If you are doing Ubiquiti APs, your extenders will show up as "rogue APs" in the Ubiquiti portal. Unifi APs can be set to wirelessly uplink like an extender. It is more expensive to stay in the ecosystem but, again there are advantages.

Solution