[SOLVED] Do I need new Windows after replacing everything except for HDD and SDD?

galaxisx266

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Im planning on making a new build and only keeping the HDD and SSD, would I need to reinstall / repurchase Windows if I do this?

Solution

Then you'd need to purchase a valid license.
Do a clean install on the SSD when you get the new system built.

This includes all your applications, of course. Just like the first day you opened your current one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Depends on what Windows you have.

If you have a Windows 10 that you bought retail *or* a previous Windows that you updated to Windows 10, so long as you've connected it to a Microsoft account, you ought to be able to continue using your license. If this was a Windows from a prebuilt PC or an OEM version of an older Windows version, you'll likely have to repurchase.

As for reinstall, you always should reinstall when making significant changes. OS installs are not intended for, or designed to be, modular parts that you just throw into new builds. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't, and sometimes it will work and you'll be hunting down weird problems for months, but it's always best practice to do a full, fresh install on a new or updated build.

galaxisx266

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017

What is the process to install new windows after I assemble everything? Will it replace the current windows I have installed or do I need to clear it?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Boot straight to the install disk or USB device.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

galaxisx266

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017

What if I have windows 8 from a prebuilt?

galaxisx266

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017

What are the process to do this? How do I remove the current and intall the new?

USAFRet

Titan

You're still on Windows 8.1?
There may be a way around this need to purchase, if you're willing to change to Win 10.

galaxisx266

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017

I prefer Win8 over 10 so if possible I'd like to stick with 8

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Seems weird, but different strokes for different folks. There are still retailers from which you can buy legitimate Windows 8 for around $100.

USAFRet

Titan

Then you'd need to purchase a valid license.
Do a clean install on the SSD when you get the new system built.

This includes all your applications, of course. Just like the first day you opened your current one.

Solution