Do i need reinstall windows if i change CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madican

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016
Hi! Currently i have intel core i7 4790 non K,if i buy another better CPU should i reinstall my windows?I have windows 8.1 64bit and i do not want to reinstall.

Solution
Re-installation of windows is recommended, if you change motherboard.
If you change cpu but keep your current motherboard, then re-installation is not necessary.
Re-installation of windows is recommended, if you change motherboard.
If you change cpu but keep your current motherboard, then re-installation is not necessary.

Solution

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Usually the windows licence is joined to the motherboards LAN module. Changing the CPU should not cause any problem. Better then the 4790 is the 4790k. Anything else has different socket and requires a motherboard change as well.
Connect Windows support, they can help you activate the operation system after the upgrade.

madican

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016

My motherboards from Asus which only support a 1150,then I think it's better to buy a latest processor that has socket 1150 Yes want to buy with K

madican

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Couple of things to consider before upgrading your CPU. Depending on your motherboard model, you may not be able to do much with an unlocked CPU versus your current locked CPU. So, what model of Asus motherboard are you using?

Also, even with a new unlocked CPU, you won't get a massive increase in overall system performance just by swapping the CPU. You need to consider the relative costs of adding the new CPU vice the gains you achieve.

To measure the difference gained, just run a benchmark app before and then after the swap. Easy.

Jan 25, 2021
I am currently using Ryzen 3 3200g and using its integrated graphic card. Lately I purchased a Video Card (RX 570) which makes the integrated Graphics useless. Question is, should I reformat my PC if I replace it with my newly bought Ryzen 5 2600? or it's fine to just replace it and play?

USAFRet

Titan
I am currently using Ryzen 3 3200g and using its integrated graphic card. Lately I purchased a Video Card (RX 570) which makes the integrated Graphics useless. Question is, should I reformat my PC if I replace it with my newly bought Ryzen 5 2600? or it's fine to just replace it and play?
Please create a NEW thread and question for your particular situation.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.