Do i need to buy a new computer. or could i upgrade my HP Pavilion p6769sc?

Nov 9, 2018
Hey :)

I have a HP Pavilion p6769sc, with the right description as this one : https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c02688356

What im am wondering about is if its possible to upgrade this computer so i could play for example PUBG,SCUM,Fortnite,GTA V? Its not important that the quality in the game is on the highest quality possible, but i want to play of course without lag..

Hope some one could help me here, i have build a computer before but that was in 2010 ca, so most of that i have forgotten..

Solution
That CPU, assuming it is the i5-650, is very, very weak for modern games. Especially with GTAV and that's not before looking at whether you have at least 8GB of DDR3 memory and a half decent graphics card.

*that CPU has two cores, not hyperthreaded and it's quite likely that Windows and background tasks will spike at times to utilize most or all of one of those cores leaving just one for games.

I'm at like 10% now on an eight-thread CPU that runs way faster so that might be close to 100% usage (so half your CPU?)... try opening TASK MANAGER-> Performance and monitor CPU usage just for running Google Chrome with several tabs open. YUCK!

So...
There's probably not much you can keep on that system. I threw together a half decent system...
your better off do to the age of the pc to donate it for a tax write off. if you can find a non profit to donate the pc to.
i would use black friday and cyber monday sales. look for pre built gaming pc. not the pre built dells or hp. then upgrade the gaming pc if needed with an ssd.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I agree, except for the bolded part. I have no real experience with HP, but during sales, I've gotten crazy deals on Dell XPS machines - typically less than I could buy the components for, and that's not even counting that it comes with the OS license.

Video card upgrade, and done.

But, you have to be keeping an eye out for that kind of thing.

With Dell, I'd skip on the Inspirons as they have odd power supplies that I think can't be upgraded. The Small Desktop Inspirons are also to be avoided as the upgradability is worse, with lesser power supply and the tight form factor.

The XPS machines, though? Worth keeping an eye on for when they have the big sales.

That CPU, assuming it is the i5-650, is very, very weak for modern games. Especially with GTAV and that's not before looking at whether you have at least 8GB of DDR3 memory and a half decent graphics card.

*that CPU has two cores, not hyperthreaded and it's quite likely that Windows and background tasks will spike at times to utilize most or all of one of those cores leaving just one for games.

I'm at like 10% now on an eight-thread CPU that runs way faster so that might be close to 100% usage (so half your CPU?)... try opening TASK MANAGER-> Performance and monitor CPU usage just for running Google Chrome with several tabs open. YUCK!

So...
There's probably not much you can keep on that system. I threw together a half decent system to see what prices are (it's not necessarily a great motherboard, there's no SSD, I did include Windows though).
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZrPvYT

I don't like skimping on the CPU. I think a good 6 or 8-core CPU at this point makes sense to get 10 years or whatever out of the machine. And 16GB (2x8GB) is IMO the optimal RAM. Slightly overkill arguably for some games and situations but then you'd definitely want to upgrade past 8GB later and of course some current games can have stutter so...

There are BUDGET BUILDS of course and if that's the only choice maybe at that point a GAMING console is a worthy consideration instead and just use the existing PC for non-gaming?

So $1000USD (including Windows) should get you something half decent but $600 just isn't a good gaming machine.

Solution
Nov 9, 2018
Thanks so much, i realise now that il just gonna buy a new computer, photonboy thank you for taking the time to find parts and make a list out of it, i will look into it when i get home! And ofcourse i thank everybody else for the help, think im going to give it to my little brother next month so he have at least something he can use before christmas, when he gets a new one.. im from Norway so my English is soso, hehe.. hope you understand!

Thanks gain!

Have a great day!