Question Do I need to change other components when upgrading graphic card?

MancgoChutney

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Hey guys, what with this worldwide lockdown I thought it would be the right moment to update my PC. My boyfriend is adamant that if I change my Graphic Card, I must also upgrade the Processor and other things. Other forums have said it's not always necessary but I don't want to risk messing up my rig so I'd rather check out with you guys if it's okay or not.

I have this graphic card :
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

And this processor :
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3,50GHz

I also have 16GB of RAM, am running W10, I bought the computer new back in 2013, it came with an SSD and a HDD, I've recently bought a second HDD, and I don't know what other relevant info I could give you :/

Also how long are SSDs supposed to last? Maybe I should start looking into changing that too or should it be fine for a few more years?

My problem is that my graphic card is considered old and I can't stream to Discord or correctly play any new fancy games so I really want to change that, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Elea

1) If the CPU is weak, you need to upgrade too, your BF is right on the point. And the i7 3770K is good enough in your case , but it depends on what GPU you will get, what fancy games you are playing.
Bottlenecking Guide:

2) Usually you need the PSU upgrading too, when you get the new powerful GPU, and it depends on what PSU you had too.