[SOLVED] Do I need to copy desktop.ini ?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I am making a backup of my software installation dvd by selecting all files in the dvd and copy and paste into my computer hard disk. Doing this so that I will have the software even if the dvd corrupts or I lose the dvd in the future.

When I open the dvd, there are software files and a file called desktop.ini (screenshot View: https://i.imgur.com/4N5rKNX.png
), do I need to copy desktop.ini to work correctly? (I mean if in future I want to install the software by using the files I copied into my pc it will work correctly)

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
My DVD does not autoplay/popup after I insert into PC. Does it mean if I manually select all files in the DVD and copy and paste into a folder in my PC DVD tray would it be the same like creating an ISO?

I am not sure if ISO purpose is more for those DVD that would autoplay once the DVD is inserted in the PC DVD tray?
Well, an ISO is really just a compressed folder a little like rar or zip with the advantage that it be seen like a physical disk by your pc, it has not really anything to do with if is is autoplay or not.
It's just that making an ISO would be the most secure thing to make sure it will be working 100% when/if your dvd fails.
But i guess it is just a more fanzy way of doing it manually with copy the files to a...

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/why-are-there-two-desktopini-files-my-desktop-what-do-they-do

I get "stray" desktop.ini files that show up from time to time. If I am not sure about what the file is related to (open the file and look) then I copy it to another folder and delete the file from desktop.

If all remains well - no problem. If something stops working for what ever reason, I copy the file back.

Do not remember any recent problems with desktop ini files being "removed" but it is always prudent to take precautions. Just in case.....

Reactions: smalltech

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
i would create an ISO of the DVD that you can mount in windoes if you ever gonna need it.
That way windoes will see it as if you inserted the dvd.
look here
My DVD does not autoplay/popup after I insert into PC. Does it mean if I manually select all files in the DVD and copy and paste into a folder in my PC DVD tray would it be the same like creating an ISO?

I am not sure if ISO purpose is more for those DVD that would autoplay once the DVD is inserted in the PC DVD tray?

borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013

Well, an ISO is really just a compressed folder a little like rar or zip with the advantage that it be seen like a physical disk by your pc, it has not really anything to do with if is is autoplay or not.
It's just that making an ISO would be the most secure thing to make sure it will be working 100% when/if your dvd fails.
But i guess it is just a more fanzy way of doing it manually with copy the files to a folder on your hdd.

Reactions: smalltech
Solution

TRENDING THREADS