Do I need to get new windows for a new motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thullie2

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
Do I need to get new windows for a new motherboard?

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and now I am getting a new motherboard so I am curious that do I really need to buy new windows for the new mobo.

This might be a bit dumb question but I am kind of beginner when it comes to these sorts of things.

Solution
If you have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8.1, and your previous OS was NOT an OEM version, then you won't need a new copy of Windows 10 for your new motherboard. Windows 10 uses your hardware configuration to activate itself. Because of the major hardware switch, your copy of Windows may indeed be deactivated, so you should call Microsoft support and ask to have it reactivated.

Slashgeek

Admirable
If you have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8.1, and your previous OS was NOT an OEM version, then you won't need a new copy of Windows 10 for your new motherboard. Windows 10 uses your hardware configuration to activate itself. Because of the major hardware switch, your copy of Windows may indeed be deactivated, so you should call Microsoft support and ask to have it reactivated.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.