[SOLVED] Do I need to install a fan at the back ?

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Hope yall doing well . I have quick question about rear fan. I got Phanteks G360 case and it has only 3 front fans and i use ICue H150 Elite Capellix AIO.
Do i need to buy extra for back . I can just buy another same Corsair fan like i have on AIO(3 of them). But the RGB wires would make little mess i mean just looking kinda ugly to go from one side to another to be connected to controller.
Will I face any problems with overheating or any issues if I don't have a back fan or it’s kinda needed ?
Thanks 🙏🏼

Solution
Years ago, case cooling was in its infancy. Almost overlooked. By the time AT towers showed up, with single piece, unvented, sides and top, the only case cooling available was a single rear fan, up at the top where case heat naturally accumulated. So that fan mounted to the i/o area of the rear meant no fans attached to the removable case surround.

Then ATX cases were created, with modular sides and top, and that allowed access without requiring removal of fans and wiring mounted under the top section. ATX retained the rear fan because tower coolers pointed their exhaust directly to the rear i/o area, where the rear exhaust fan sits.

With top mounted exhaust fans, pulling heat directly up and out, the rear exhaust fan serves exactly...

Lutfij

Titan
it has only 3 front fans and i use ICue H150 Elite Capellix AIO
I'm assuming the AIO is mounted to the roof of the case while the cases' fans are at the front set to intake? How are the fans on the AIO oriented? Per my colleague above, please include additional information, we can move forward accordingly..

Reactions: himedavito

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you seeing any temperature or performance problems now?

As for "kinda ugly" does that mean that you have a glass side and can see inside the case?
Asus Rog Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi AM5
Ryzen 9 7900x
Tridenz Z5 ddr5 6400mhz
iCue H150 elite capellix AIO
M2 Western Digital 1tb SN850X
3 preinstaled Phanteks fans in front
GPU not yet in but 4080 or 4090 probs .
Am temps i haven’t really checked yet struggle with drivers wifi didn’t work installed all drivers still doesn’t show up wifi.. just updated BIOS and put all AMD drivers little struggle i face firstly with drivers .
Haven’t even configured fans speed

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
it has only 3 front fans and i use ICue H150 Elite Capellix AIO
I'm assuming the AIO is mounted to the roof of the case while the cases' fans are at the front set to intake? How are the fans on the AIO oriented? Per my colleague above, please include additional information, we can move forward accordingly..
Yes you’re right fans are mounted corsair logo down air pulled from case to radiator . Front pulling air In.

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you seeing any temperature or performance problems now?

As for "kinda ugly" does that mean that you have a glass side and can see inside the case?
39.1 value 51.0 C Max no games opened just browser
Motherboard temps was 28/29 C when i checked BIOS

Ralston18

Titan
@himedavito

We need to slow down a bit here.

The original question/issue appeared (to me at least) as a fan/temperature question.

However you mentioned wireless problems apparently driver related.

"Am temps i haven’t really checked yet struggle with drivers wifi didn’t work installed all drivers still doesn’t show up wifi.. just updated BIOS and put all AMD drivers little struggle i face firstly with drivers ."

Are you certain that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled? Not both a wired and a wireless network adapter at the same time or more than one network adapter (be it wired or wireless) is enabled at the same time.

Please restate the immediate problem regarding what is not working.

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
@himedavito

We need to slow down a bit here.

The original question/issue appeared (to me at least) as a fan/temperature question.

However you mentioned wireless problems apparently driver related.

"Am temps i haven’t really checked yet struggle with drivers wifi didn’t work installed all drivers still doesn’t show up wifi.. just updated BIOS and put all AMD drivers little struggle i face firstly with drivers ."

Are you certain that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled? Not both a wired and a wireless network adapter at the same time or more than one network adapter (be it wired or wireless) is enabled at the same time.

Please restate the immediate problem regarding what is not working.
It’s asus fault they pre installed intel drivers and latest drivers was for intel wifi adapter. Needed to use AMD wifi drivers so yea got all drivers up. Also i enable D.O.C.P in bios and I ran Ryzen master ran stress test on default.
Heres photo https://ibb.co/Yt8sTNw
Motherboard bios temps was 26-29C
Not very good at benchmarks and all that system information checking let me know if i need specific additional tests . I just want to make sure temperatures are alright and i can start using pc fully and check how gaming affects .
P.S need to also set right fan diagrams if any tutorial is know for good tips lemme know :)

Ralston18

Titan
The immediate problem being that temperatures increase during downloads.

When not downloading files the temperatures are around 39.1 C with 51.0 C Max.

When downloading files the temperatures increase to 45-51 C with 61.6 Max.

In agreement with @Phaaze88 in that the observed download temperatures are not very high or wrong.

However, you have not yet configured the fan speeds as I understand your post #5.

= = = =

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

The PSU may not be able to support the current system components and even less so in you later install (as mentioned) a 4080 or 4090 GPU.

= = = =

If possible take a photograph of the case showing all fans and air flow directions.

Post the photo here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Someone may spot a fan or airflow related problem.

= = = =

Then do some more testing and observe system temperatures while the system is idle, when doing light work on the system, while browswing on line, while downloading, and lastly while gaming.

Most components operate within some temperature range but generally steady out at some value. And that value can and will change depending on what the system is doing: idling vs gaming for example.

Be as methodical as possible and do not make any radical changes to fan speeds, voltages, clocking, etc..

Post the observed temperatures and what the system was doing when the temperatures were observed.

Ralston18

Titan
Three fans in. If air cannot exhaust at the same rate or faster then air flows (and cooling) will slow.

= = = =

I think the stuttering is more symptomatic than the temperatures.

Before doing anything else take a look at system performance via Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Observe what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Do the observations in the same manner as you did the temperatures: Light work, Idle, Gaming.

If you see the CPU's % going up and then the temperature going up

May well be that the CPU is not able to keep up - especially with iGPU.

Then again adding a GPU may require more power than the PSU can manage - even if "rated" accordingly.

Current PSU?

You don't necessarily need a rear fan, or rather an exhaust fan if this is the use case for it. Lots of systems do just fine with intake-only setups. Conversely, lots of systems work fine with exhaust-only setups.

The point of the case fans isn't necessarily to generate airflow throughout the case to flow over parts. It's to replace the air in the case. And since cases usually aren't hermetically sealed, air will find its way in or out through any hole or crack.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lots of systems do just fine with intake-only setups.
I see doyll over on overclock.net(and sometimes TPU) bring that up often. He has an airflow guide on overclock, though some of the images are broken now, which sucks.
Not doubting the guy, as I know it's true, and for exhaust only too.
People just need to be willing to put in time to try things out... "B-but, if I'm not filling all the [optional] fan slots, I'm doing it wrong.", or "It doesn't look/feel right if all the [optional] fan slots aren't filled."
:hum:

And since cases usually aren't hermetically sealed, air will find its way in or out through any hole or crack.
Intentionally or not, some cases do lean towards a certain orientation:
Negative: NZXT H500 - excluding Flow series, many of their other cases are negative.
Positive: Cooler Master H500M, H500P Mesh, and Fractal Design Torrent.
Neutral: Thermaltake View 71, Fractal Design North(with mesh side panel), or any case with too many open seams.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Years ago, case cooling was in its infancy. Almost overlooked. By the time AT towers showed up, with single piece, unvented, sides and top, the only case cooling available was a single rear fan, up at the top where case heat naturally accumulated. So that fan mounted to the i/o area of the rear meant no fans attached to the removable case surround.

Then ATX cases were created, with modular sides and top, and that allowed access without requiring removal of fans and wiring mounted under the top section. ATX retained the rear fan because tower coolers pointed their exhaust directly to the rear i/o area, where the rear exhaust fan sits.

With top mounted exhaust fans, pulling heat directly up and out, the rear exhaust fan serves exactly no purpose other than to steal air from the rear most top fan. Whether this affects cpu temps will depend on the relationship of pull between those 2 fans and the wattage output/cooler capacity and/or efficiency. If that rear fan is significantly stronger than the top rear fan, the top rear fan is effectively useless and you end up with nothing much more than a 240mm rad worth of ability. If the top rear is significantly stronger than the rear, there's no point to having the rear at all.

Solution

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Three fans in. If air cannot exhaust at the same rate or faster then air flows (and cooling) will slow.

= = = =

I think the stuttering is more symptomatic than the temperatures.

Before doing anything else take a look at system performance via Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Observe what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Do the observations in the same manner as you did the temperatures: Light work, Idle, Gaming.

If you see the CPU's % going up and then the temperature going up

May well be that the CPU is not able to keep up - especially with iGPU.

Then again adding a GPU may require more power than the PSU can manage - even if "rated" accordingly.

Current PSU?
Thank you i’ll try and update .
PSU is RM1000X corsair
GPU will be 4080 or 4090 rtx

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
You don't necessarily need a rear fan, or rather an exhaust fan if this is the use case for it. Lots of systems do just fine with intake-only setups. Conversely, lots of systems work fine with exhaust-only setups.

The point of the case fans isn't necessarily to generate airflow throughout the case to flow over parts. It's to replace the air in the case. And since cases usually aren't hermetically sealed, air will find its way in or out through any hole or crack.
Thank you i agree on that though.

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020

With top mounted exhaust fans, pulling heat directly up and out, the rear exhaust fan serves exactly no purpose other than to steal air from the rear most top fan. Whether this affects cpu temps will depend on the relationship of pull between those 2 fans and the wattage output/cooler capacity and/or efficiency. If that rear fan is significantly stronger than the top rear fan, the top rear fan is effectively useless and you end up with nothing much more than a 240mm rad worth of ability. If the top rear is significantly stronger than the rear, there's no point to having the rear at all.
Thank you for your detailed explanation and i totaly understood your point . As i tought myself that rear fan would be kinda useless with cooling system i already have , temperatures looks normal no close to be overheating . I’ll leave out rear fan , maybe when i get gpu in something will change and pc temperatures will require that extra fan . Thanks alot

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heat rises. Straight up. A regular axial fan gpu will push its exhaust heat out of the heatsink towards the side of the case away from the mobo (mostly). And then it'll go straight up, helped by the top fans suction. Using a rear fan isn't going to change that much other than to try and suck the additional heat 90° sideways, stealing air from the rear most top fan.

If the rear fan is strong enough, you may see cpu temps drop slightly, if it's not, cpu temps will most likely go up...