[SOLVED] Do I need to install windows to SSD?

Coldburnout50

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
Hi i recently got to buying a ssd m.2 for my pc and I currently already have a 1tb HDD that has all my content on it already. I was wanting to move my bigger games like gta and call of duty and also being able to boot from the ssd so it loads faster at startup but I’m not sure if I have to install windows on it first and than transfer the games or can I format it like usual and have it as a secondary drive and than just set it to boot from my bios any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Well my HDD already has windows installed on it along with other games if I just installed windows on the ssd will it not interfere with the windows already on the HDD I’m trying to get them to work togethor
So you would need to install windows onto the SSD first if you want it to be the boot drive. it will cause conflicting issues with the HDD if you leave the OS on there. Also why would you do that? Just wasting space on the HDD. furthermore you can just make a copy of the OS from the HDD and copy it to the SSD and still keep majority of your games and whatever else on the HDD. Also keep in mind the more you load on the SSD the slower it becomes. One more note to add not all games benefit from being on an SSD as much as you...

Coldburnout50

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
Sure you can do that but what do you expect it to load if you don't install windows on it?
Or maybe you should explain what you mean with format as usual.
Well my HDD already has windows installed on it along with other games if I just installed windows on the ssd will it not interfere with the windows already on the HDD I’m trying to get them to work togethor

Ferimer

Distinguished
So you would need to install windows onto the SSD first if you want it to be the boot drive. it will cause conflicting issues with the HDD if you leave the OS on there. Also why would you do that? Just wasting space on the HDD. furthermore you can just make a copy of the OS from the HDD and copy it to the SSD and still keep majority of your games and whatever else on the HDD. Also keep in mind the more you load on the SSD the slower it becomes. One more note to add not all games benefit from being on an SSD as much as you think they will.

Solution
If you install windows on the ssd while the hdd is still in the system it might use the initial boot files (the boot menu) from the hdd but it will boot from the ssd and use the higher speeds.
You could disconnect the hdd and install windows on the ssd, that way everything will be on the ssd but you will have to use the bios to choose to boot from the ssd.
Other than that there is no interference.

So you would need to install windows onto the SSD first if you want it to be the boot drive. it will cause conflicting issues with the HDD if you leave the OS on there. Also why would you do that? Just wasting space on the HDD. furthermore you can just make a copy of the OS from the HDD and copy it to the SSD and still keep majority of your games and whatever else on the HDD. Also keep in mind the more you load on the SSD the slower it becomes. One more note to add not all games benefit from being on an SSD as much as you think they will.

How exactly would you do that?

What is the make/model of your new m.2 ssd?
What is the used capacity of the HDD?
If the used portion of the hdd can comfortably fit on the m.2, then clone the hdd to the m.2 and repurpose the hdd.
For anything that needs performance, it should reside on a ssd, not a hdd.
Windows C drive is the very first thing to put on a ssd.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I haven't had issues having 2 installs of Windows. It's the way I install a fresh Win 10 OS. That way I can copy files over later from original, crappy install (Windows just breaks for me once a year, registry errors etc).

If you want to migrate OS from HDD to SSD, the HDD partition that has the OS HAS to be SMALLER than the SSD. Which is why my Win 10 install partition is always 100 gigs or less. It will fit on ANY SSD/NVME.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi i recently got to buying a ssd m.2 for my pc and I currently already have a 1tb HDD that has all my content on it already. I was wanting to move my bigger games like gta and call of duty and also being able to boot from the ssd so it loads faster at startup but I’m not sure if I have to install windows on it first and than transfer the games or can I format it like usual and have it as a secondary drive and than just set it to boot from my bios any help would be appreciated.
What is the size/make/model of the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on the current HDD?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Could be because this person is running 2 OS in One Computer lol. the OP is wondering how to clone the OS from the HDD to the SSD. lets help them with that instead of worrying about the other persons issue for now.
Nope. I have 2 Win 10 installs AFTER registry breaks. After a week or two I remove the 2nd one, once I got everything useful copied. If you wanna know why, it breaks ask Microsoft, I don't have a clue. I've had the same issue since win98SE. But back then, the install would get registry corrupted within a week because I had to switch computers at school daily, only bringing my HDD with me from machine to machine. Back to topic pls.