Question Do i need to reinstall windows 10 after mobo upgrade? And how?

johnsoner13

Respectable
So Ive attempted upgrading my i5 6500 and MSI z170a krait gaming 3x mobo to a ryzen 5 2600 and msi b450 tomahawk max mobo.

However, after installation i could not get my pc to function properly or boot into windows. Could this be an issue with attempting to boot right from my SSD with all my data on it and the old mobo drivers on it? If so, how do i go about reinstalling windows and wiping my SSD? I think i read somewhere that there’s a different process in wiping SSD’s to prevent damage to them. I don’t care about backing up the data on it, I just want my PC to work. (It works fine when switching back to old cpu and mobo)

I also use inactivated windows, so transferring a key/license will not be an issue

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

When you do something like this you must reinstall windows. Use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB and install windows from that

The windows installer will allow you to delete all the partitions on that drive

USAFRet

Titan
Just delete the existing partitions during the install process.

johnsoner13

Respectable
Thank you, I’ll try this. And this will most likely resolve issues with my PC not posting or working correctly? I’ve troubleshooted pretty well already and can only think of windows 10 being the issue or defective motherboard