Question Do I need to run a new line for a second ISP of the same company

ChickenGandalf

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
So i’m moving in my dads best friends house for college and to make a long story short.

CONTEXT: I used to live with him for my freshman year and he would always kick me out and wouldn’t let me use his wifi because he streams a lot of movies and for whatever reason when my dad and I come through his streams lag even though he has two kids on the PS4 all day. This is the same issue i’m dealing with today. He’s ok with me setting up an ISP but I don’t want to “kid” it up and do something I know nothing about so I did my research and from my understanding it’s ok to have another ISP in the house but I couldn’t find anything with regards to running a line into the house so my question is this.

He is using cox, I will be using cox aswell. Do I need to have someone come to the house and install a new line or I can use another coax cable that’s in the house. There’s one in my room so can I literally just plug in the modem and set it up or do I need to get a new one installed.

If there’s anything you think I should consider please feel free to let me know.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
The existing line could be the one Cox is already using for the house right now. Not sure how can they provide a new account with separate bandwidth to you using same line.

Maybe they can, possibly they can't. Only Cox can answer that.

ChickenGandalf

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
Alternately, you could just apply the money for this 'second account' to boosting the current connection speed.
Thereby having more than enough bandwidth to prevent any lag.
Just so I understand this, it would be two separate accounts and we wouldn’t run into each other’s speeds and bandwidth right? or it’s two accounts on the same bandwidth

ChickenGandalf

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
Alternately, you could just apply the money for this 'second account' to boosting the current connection speed.
Thereby having more than enough bandwidth to prevent any lag.
What you quoted would be 1 shared account, just with more bandwidth.

What is the current bandwidth you pay Cox for?
I reached out to cox and they said I can do a roommate plan which is a separate equipment and plan on the same line so I guess that solves it. I asked them before and they never mentioned it that’s why i’m on here. Thanks for the help and info but i’m all good for now.

Reactions: USAFRet
This is kinda the scam cable companies have. All the cables for the neighbors close to you are just hooked together with simple splitters. Everyone shares the same bandwidth but becuase the overall bandwidth is higher than the plans they sell they can more than 1 running at full speed without affecting other users. They are betting that everyone is not running max rate at the same time.

So you adding a extra connection should make no difference. There are likely a maximum total number of modem they can support on the cable going back to cabinet near your house. This is likely why sometime the ISP says no. If a lot of house that shares the wire would sign up for multiple modems they likely would hit a point they would have to tell someone that they could not even provide a single connection.