Do I Need to Run Windows Back Up if....

chrisfromoh

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
So i'm getting ready to migrate my HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD using Samsung's cloning software. Before I start to install the SSD, I started running a Windows Back Up and it's only at 20% after 5 hours. Now the thing is, I already have my music, personal files, movies, pictures, etc saved on several other external HDD's. Do I even need to be running a Windows Back Up of C: Drive? Before I started the Windows Back Up, I forgot to delete about 500 GB of games that are on my HDD, so I imagine this Back Up is going to take forever. Can I just cancel this Windows Back Up, install my SDD, Migrate the data from my HDD to my SSD or do you recommend letting Windows Back Up finish? If I don't need to have a Windows Back Up I'm going to delete all the games, large programs from my HDD so that it will fit on a 250 SSD when i go to clone the drive.

Your ssd migration will need to include all games/apps that have registry entries.
If you have steam games, I understand there is a way to move them; read up on that.

I would not depend on a backup to save your games.

The Samsung utility is not a true clone. It moves data and has the ability to exclude large data files from the move.
If that is not sufficient, you will need to do something about the games.
Reinstalling games and apps can be a real pain. One I would solve with a suitably large ssd if budget is not a big issue.
If you don't mind deleting the games, cancel your running backup and delete the games to get to a suitably small amount of files that need to be transferred.

chrisfromoh

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not worried about the games. I have all the saved games backed up using Game Save Manager on another external HDD. I was wondering if it's safe to stop Windows BackUp while it's in progress Backing Up to a separate external HDD? Also, since I have my important files already on other external HDD's, do I even need to be running Windows Back Up? This is my first time installing and cloning to a SSD so I wasn't sure if i Need to run Windows BackUp? I'll reinstall all my Steam games to the unused HDD once my SSD is installed and cloned.