[SOLVED] Do I need to update my BIOS on my MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus?

Geraki

Reputable
Mar 12, 2016
Just built this PC this week and I've never used a MSI motherboard before. Do I need to update the BIOS? I checked MSI's website for my board and it looks like a lot of updates have been pushed out for this board. I did not use the disc that came with the mobo because I do not have a disc drive for it in this case. System is stable (seemingly) after a few hours of general use. Haven't tried to game or anything yet. I've read conflicting opinions online. Should I go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" line of thought? I've never done a BIOS update before...my last build 6 years ago (AsRock board) worked right out of the box...so I'm concerned about screwing something up with the MSI board if I do a BIOS update (which I'm still not clear how to do...not even sure if I have an extra flash drive around, I'd probably need to buy one).

Also I have a follow up question about this board: this is my first AMD build...my last board didn't have the 4 pin slot to the right of the 8 pin cpu 12v hookup on the board. Many of the forums I read online seemed to decide that it isn't necessary unless you are doing extreme overclocking, which I am not going to do. If I should order a cable (my PSU doesn't have one) and hook up that 4 pin slot please let me know why I should and I will do so. The manual didn't really offer any concrete thoughts one way or the other that I could find reading through it.

This community is really great--thanks in advance for your wisdom.

System specs:

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 3800x
EVGA RTX 3060 TI FTW3
16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 CL16
WD SN750 1tb nvme m.2 SSD
WD Black 7200rpm HDD 1tb
TP-Link TX50e pcie wi-fi/bluetooth card
Corsair Rm650x PSU
NZXT h510 case with 2x noctua 1200rpm redux 140mm intakes on front with 1x rear exhaust Corsair ML120 and 1x top exhaust Corsair ML120

Solution
As far as the BIOS.....that CPU should run on any BIOS available (there are only two I see).
If you aren't having issues....I would leave it alone.

As far as the extra 4 pin....in general it isn't needed but for overclocking.....but it won't hurt anything to connect it.
As far as the BIOS.....that CPU should run on any BIOS available (there are only two I see).
If you aren't having issues....I would leave it alone.

As far as the extra 4 pin....in general it isn't needed but for overclocking.....but it won't hurt anything to connect it.

Reactions: Geraki
Solution

Geraki

Reputable
Mar 12, 2016
Thank you jay for the response. I have been gaming for a few days now without any hiccups so I'll leave it alone. As for the extra 4 pin I did order a cable when I saw your reply and I'll install it the next time I need to open the case for any reason.