[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my computer ?

realmatrix

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have desktop with the following configuration

core 2 duo E7300
8 gb ddr2 gskill
gigabyte eg45mud2h
120 gb wd ssd
ati hd4850
Windows 7 64bit

This machine was decommissioned as a HTPC and I now mainly use it as my main desktop. After upgrading to a SSD recently, there was tremendous improvement in system bootup time and apps opened in a breeze. However things haven't really sped up as far as performance goes. Chrome struggles with pages which are javascript heavy. Photoshop load times have reduced but there is considerable lag when performing basic operations. Is it so because the processor cannot cope with load since my 8 gb ram is yet to get overwhelmed when I check the usage in task manager.

If that is the case I plan to upgrade to ryzen 3 2200g+gigabyte a320+8gb ddr4 and remove the ati hd4850.

Will upgrading to ryzen provide a significant performance boost or apps like chrome and photoshop are indeed resource hogs and improvement will be marginal ?

Solution
Have you considered just spending $10 on a used Core 2 Quad 9400? It's no speed demon. A Core 2 Quad is a big improvement over a Core 2 Duo. I've got two Core 2 Quad's Q6700 and Q9400 running. They are still decent. Not that it competes with my i5 or i7. In general web browsing and MS Office. The Core 2 Quad still does fine. Especially with 8GB RAM and an SSD.
Yeah, moving to a 2200g would be a lot more than a marginal upgrade. Your E7300 is a dinosaur. If you want the best performance, I would probably look at a b350/b450 motherboard so you can overclock the RAM. Ryzen scales well with high speed RAM, even more with the APU.

Are you going to game on this or is this just for web browsing and what not? If you are just gonna web browse, then save some money and get a G5400 with a h310 mobo.

realmatrix

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Not really into gaming but do browse websites which are resource hungry along with photoshop

The 2200g is an entry level gaming APU. It will work fine, but any modern CPU with integrated graphics will meet your needs. If I were you, I would go with something cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V6P8sJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V6P8sJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $173.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-13 09:55 EDT-0400

an upgrade to a current gen intel pentium or a ryzen 3 will be a big upgrade compared to what you have now. if you use any resource hungry programs then you could go with 16GB of ram with a new CPU.

as for what you have now it is the CPU that is dragging you down because 8GB of ram should be more then enough for programs like javascript and photoshop

Have you considered just spending $10 on a used Core 2 Quad 9400? It's no speed demon. A Core 2 Quad is a big improvement over a Core 2 Duo. I've got two Core 2 Quad's Q6700 and Q9400 running. They are still decent. Not that it competes with my i5 or i7. In general web browsing and MS Office. The Core 2 Quad still does fine. Especially with 8GB RAM and an SSD.

Solution

realmatrix

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Upgraded to a core 2 quad q9400 (bought it for 20$ online ) . Performance has improved significantly , I would say its now comparable to a modern generation core i3. This proved to be the better alternative for the moment rather than spending atleast 350$ for a new build.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS