Question Do I need to upgrade my CPU if I get a new Graphics Card?

Jun 27, 2019
Hey guys! First time posting on the Forums but I had a big question to ask since I'm not 10/10 with PC Upgrading. I own a HP Envy Desktop 750-111 and it's a good computer overall but it's not great for the games out there right now. I want to buy a Nvidia GTX 1070 but I was told that I may have to upgrade my CPU and RAM depending on what I have. Here is what I have,

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6400 CPU @2.70 Ghz 2.71 Ghz

8GB of Installed Memory (RAM)

64-Bit Operating System, x64-based processor.

Intel HD Graphics 2016

Sorry if I got any of that wrong, Thank you for the responses!

6400 is the Lowest in that Skylake series those lower clocks will not do any good when you pair this with a 2070. You may need to upgrade the CPU to work best with that card. HP state that Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake) 3.4 GHz Quad Core is compatible with your system. So before buying the card concern about this fact as well. And as mentioned above a new PSU (600W at least) would need too.

Some Pre-built setups do not have that full length 24 pin connectors so be careful

AiMagicBot

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
You will get your performance improved, but with your currect CPU it may cause bottleneck. If it's expensive for you, you can buy a better cooling (-if you see it as needed) for your CPU and overclock it for a bit (even it's not a K - which means unlocked).
You didn't mention your motherboard, so check if it appears here;
If so, you will be able to install custom BIOS to overclock your non-K CPU (don't forget to consider the risk).
If you do want to buy a new CPU check your motherboard comfortability first and buy some i7.
Also don't forget to check your it fits in your chassis, and if your PSU can supply enough power.

Last edited: