Question Do I need to upgrade my PSU for an RTX 3080 12gb?

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
I recently purchased an RTX 3080 12gb on the way and I was wondering if it was necessary for me to also upgrade my PSU? I currently have an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 psu.
Would this be sufficient to run the 3080 12gb along a 9900K? I don't plan on overclocking anything and mainly intend on just using for gaming.

Thanks!

I recently purchased an RTX 3080 12gb on the way and I was wondering if it was necessary for me to also upgrade my PSU? I currently have an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 psu.
Would this be sufficient to run the 3080 12gb along a 9900K? I don't plan on overclocking anything and mainly intend on just using for gaming.

Thanks!
You can certainly try it should not take very long to figure out how well the psu handles the power spikes.

Reactions: bingaloman

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Reactions: bingaloman
That PSU should handle that card, If it was the ti I'd probably say no with the exception of some high-quality brands of PSU's, but yours is pretty decent quality, a little older but it should power that 3080 with no problems.

If you do want to upgrade, Many EVGA PSU's wires are compatible with other EVGA PSU's, so you won't have to reroute all of your wires, not all of them are compatible with each other, Do your research first!! Or ask, but if you go with a Corsair PSU or any other modular brand, DO NOT use your existing EVGA wires on it, you'll kill your system.

Good Luck