Question Do I need to upgrade my RAM or PSU for the 5800x3d?

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I'm considering upgrading to the 5800x3d, but want to know if my RAM will be sufficent or if I need to upgrade that aswell.

I play on 1080p. I play alot of comepetive titles, but also some more GPU heavy games. But since I play on 1080p I still get decent performance on more GPU heavy games.

I have a 650W PSU, 2070S and 16gb 3000mhz cl15 ram. I know the 5800x3d consumes more power. Do I need to also upgrade PSU or RAM? Or both?

Specs:
Asus ROG b450-f
2070 Super
R5 3600x
650W PSU
16gb 3000mhz CL15
h100i platinum

Ram is the last thing on your list when you are looking for a performance increase. The difference tend to be very small most times only really detectable with benchmarking software. You seldom see it make any difference in game programs.

Since it appears you are just going to swap a cpu chip I would do that first and then monitor your memory usage. Even very simple tools like the resource manager will show you how much memory different programs are really using.

You can then if you feel it is needed buy memory later. Be aware you are likely not going to be able to use your current memory if you upgrade. Memory only works well when you buy matched sticks in kits.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Ram is the last thing on your list when you are looking for a performance increase. The difference tend to be very small most times only really detectable with benchmarking software. You seldom see it make any difference in game programs.

Since it appears you are just going to swap a cpu chip I would do that first and then monitor your memory usage. Even very simple tools like the resource manager will show you how much memory different programs are really using.

You can then if you feel it is needed buy memory later. Be aware you are likely not going to be able to use your current memory if you upgrade. Memory only works well when you buy matched sticks in kits.
But if my RAM is too poor it will surely bottleneck. But I guess I could purchase the CPU first and just monitor the usage.

Highly unlikely you will see any kind of memory bottleneck. If you were running say zip files constantly. Go find some of the benchmarks that are run with different memory you will quickly see that it is almost impossible to see a difference in a game program.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Highly unlikely you will see any kind of memory bottleneck. If you were running say zip files constantly. Go find some of the benchmarks that are run with different memory you will quickly see that it is almost impossible to see a difference in a game program.
I see some people also saying you should reinstall windows after CPU upgrade. I have the latest BIOS already and I have recently reinstalled windows. Would suck if I had to reinstall again.

Is it also true that 5800x3d is not ideal for pcie gen 3?

ps: thanks for all your help

If you had replaced the motherboard then you almost have to reinstall windows unless it uses the exact same chipset. The CPU I can't say. Windows might be smart enough to figure it all out.

I know the 7900x3d needs special support so windows can schedule different processes on the cpu that have the 3d cache and the ones that don't. The 5800 like the 7800 has the cache on all the cores so you don't have that mess with scheduling.

The machine will boot and detect you changed the cpu. You could run a cpu benchmark like cinebench to see if you get numbers around what other people with a 5800x3d get.

........5800x3d is pcie gen 4 and will slow down to pcie gen 3 if you put a gen 3 device in a gen 4 slot. Your motherboard chipset also has pcie lanes. Not sure without looking them up exactly but those run on the chipset not the cpu lanes. Of course you want your video card in the slot run by the cpu lanes.

Reactions: CountMike

Colif

Win 11 Master
i swapped from a 3600x to 5800x3d two days ago... no need to reinstall windows.
if you on win 11 might need to delete your TPM key on start up, since you swapped CPU and that is where its kept (On the cpu).
But generally windows works as if nothing changed.

cinebench R23
Multi processor: 14014

cinebench 2024
multi processor: 827
single processor: 92

Last edited:

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
i swapped from a 3600x to 5800x3d two days ago... no need to reinstall windows.
if you on win 11 might need to delete your TPM key on start up, since you swapped CPU and that is where its kept (On the cpu).
But generally windows works as if nothing changed.
What motherboard and GPU are you using? And what kind of performance boost did you see?