Question Do i need to use 2 different fan controllers for my case and aio ?

Dec 16, 2023
hello there
I bought nzxt h9 elite case and Lian Li GALAHAD II LCD 360 Liquid Cooler

This case comes with 4 preinstalled fans
three F Series 120mm RGB Duo Fans and one F120Q Fan
at the back of the case there is the fans controller

and my AIO has it's own fans and also it's own controller,
do i need to use both the case and AIO fans and controllers separately since they are different fans ?

also I don't have the option to buy the extra 3 fans at the bottom atm, do i mount my AIO at the top or better at the side ?

hello there
I bought nzxt h9 elite case and Lian Li GALAHAD II LCD 360 Liquid Cooler

This case comes with 4 preinstalled fans
three F Series 120mm RGB Duo Fans and one F120Q Fan
at the back of the case there is the fans controller

and my AIO has it's own fans and also it's own controller,
do i need to use both the case and AIO fans and controllers separately since they are different fans ?

also I don't have the option to buy the extra 3 fans at the bottom atm, do i mount my AIO at the top or better at the side ?
AIO fans and pump should have signal from CPU_FAN header, directly or thru own hub. Case fans from appropriate headers on the MB. Not only because they are different fans but because of temperature control according to CPU temps and case fans according to MB temps.
As for radiator placement, for best CPU cooling it's preferable to it and it's fans as intake and that means front or side with hoses at bottom. Drawback is that it raises temps inside the case by few degrees. On top, as exhaust opposite happens, air inside the case is warmer than outside air so CPU cooling may suffer. In any case number and positions of case can offset those affects. Keep in mind that radiator fans also act as case fans and should be taken into account.

Dec 16, 2023
AIO fans and pump should have signal from CPU_FAN header, directly or thru own hub. Case fans from appropriate headers on the MB. Not only because they are different fans but because of temperature control according to CPU temps and case fans according to MB temps.
As for radiator placement, for best CPU cooling it's preferable to it and it's fans as intake and that means front or side with hoses at bottom. Drawback is that it raises temps inside the case by few degrees. On top, as exhaust opposite happens, air inside the case is warmer than outside air so CPU cooling may suffer. In any case number and positions of case can offset those affects. Keep in mind that radiator fans also act as case fans and should be taken into account.

sorry to bother you just building for the first time and little bit scared,
so i do use the case fan contollers for the case and fans and the AIO controllers for the aio fans
and the pump do i connect it to SYS_FAN8_PUMP or CPU_FAN ?

sorry to bother you just building for the first time and little bit scared,
so i do use the case fan contollers for the case and fans and the AIO controllers for the aio fans
and the pump do i connect it to SYS_FAN8_PUMP or CPU_FAN ?
Yes for first part.
Unless AIO manufacturer recommends differently, pump should be connected to W_Pump header. If that "SYS_FAN8_PUMP" is one combined make sure it's set in BIOS as Pump.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You WILL need to use both of the supplied Controllers for this. Each fan system is different, and is designed for use with its own Controller.

For the Lian Li AIO CPU cooler system you make cable connections from it to a SATA power output from the PSU, to the mobo CPU_FAN header (or maybe an AIO_PUMP header if your mobo has one), to a mobo USB2 Header, and to your several Lian Li fans, The manual appears to indicate there is not any cable from the Controller to a mobo ARGB header, but that may depend on exactly which AIO cooler you bought. In this system ALL of its fan speeds, fan lights and Pump lighted display panel are powered and controlled via the software utility Lian Li L-Connect3 supplied, using the USB2 connection for communication between mobo and Fan Controller box.

For the four fans supplied with the case they all are powered and controlled by their own separate Controller box. Its manual also indicates it has no connection to a mobo fan header or RGB header. You do make cable connections from the Contrller to a SATA power output from the PSU, to a mobo USB2 header, and to your fans. It has three output ports for fan MOTOR cables, plus it comes with some Splitters to allow you to connect more than one fan motor to each Controller output port. It has six separate ports for the fan lighting cables (but you have only threee fans in this group with lights). All power and control of fan speeds and lights is done by this Controller via its supplied software utility NZXT CAM using its USB2 cable for communcation with the mobo.

So in total you will need both Controllers connected. They will need a total of two connections to SATA power outputs from the PSU, and two mobo USB2 headers. You will need to download and install both of their custom software tools.

The two groups of lighted fans each have differences both in fan motor type and in lighting type, and that is why you must use the correct Controller box with each group.