Question Do I need to use the 6-pin power connector on this video card or not?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I assume you mean a PCIE connector? GPUs have PCIE power connectors. And while 1050 Tis *typically* don't require supplementary power, a minority of overclocked versions from different brands do require them.

As to whether it should be connected, nobody can responsibly answer *any* such question without knowing the *exact* PSU in question. There are many junk PSUs with PCIE power connectors that should never be used with a GPU, unless you don't care at all about the GPU. And if you have a 6-pin connector in 2023 that isn't a 6+2 connector, there's a much higher chance that it's a junk PSU.

Petros_K

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Here's what I purchased from Ebay:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC GPU​

You can see in the first image below there is a 6-pin connector on this video card. It is PCIe, which also provides a max of 75 watts at the slot. That's what the specs for this say it requires. But again, it also has the 6-pin connector, like some other video cards that require more than 75 watts have. My PC does have an available power cable that can fit, but does this video card really require it if it gets 75 watts at the PCIe slot?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
- Again, it's not molex.
- Yes, some 1050 Tis require them and the ones that do have that port. This one has the port, so it requires it. 75W is for a stock 1050 Ti. This is an overclocked 1050 Ti.
- You would typically use the 6 pins of a 6+2 pin connector. I cannot ethically provide any advice on this without knowing your exact PSU. You have not provided any information on this yet.

Petros_K

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Just got an email reply from the seller of the video card:

I believe that 75 watts is theoretically the TDP of a reference 1050 Ti, but there are many models that require additional power factory stock. It’s not modified or anything, this is how the card was originally designed. We always make sure to take pictures of any power ports and list in the item details if any power cables are required.​

--And the description details do say the 6 pin connector cable is required.

My PC has a 475W "80 Plus" power supply unit, and there's one 6-pin connector available. Guess I need to use it.

Petros_K

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Qbsub7.jpeg

PSU label from my HP computer. Again, 475 watts max power, PCIe x 16 slot gets me 75 watts for the video card.

Below you can see the available 6 pin connector, which I believe can supply another 75 watts.
QbsbhA.jpeg

Below is from the HP manual for the computer:

Qb4TTQ.png

On the Ebay webpage, someone wrote the following for a review:

I have a reliable stable 2010 model dell studio. Needed to run adobe premiere pro which said it would not run on the current video card. After a lot of research, I find that most modern video cards are too hefty for the 350 watt power supply in the Dell. BUT the GTX 1050 ti - the oldest of the GTX line would a.) run Premiere pro, and b.) not overload the power supply> I took a shot. and it worked. Who could ask for more.

PSU above is 475 watts max.

I was reading this too at Newegg:

Thermal Design Power (TDP) is not the exact amount of power a component will draw, but can be used as a basic indicator. The higher the TDP, the more power the component will draw from power supply and the more cooling the component will require.

Last edited:
If a card has a 6 pin slot, you need to connect with a 6 pin psu cable.
While normally, a GTX1050ti does not need aux power, your card is an overclocked version that needs aux power.

Your psu may not be the best, but if they supplied a 6 pin 75w aux cable, the psu should be capable of delivering the required power.
It is likely that not much of the extra 75w is going to be used.