Do i need to water cool

Acomputerguy

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Hey guys so I'm looking to buy the gtx 1060 oc edition. First question is does it come factory overclocked and secondly do i have to have it being liquid cooled if it is.

Thanks guys

Solution

+1 jaslion No, do not go water cooling.

Do make sure your PC is ready for a GTX 1060:
--Double wide (two slots) x16 PCIe Slot,
--Full height video card slot, not low profile
--Power supply...

The oc edition = oc = Over Clocked. So yes it is overclocked. There is no reason to watercool it if it has a good air cooler on it and it does what it needs to do. Only if you want to go crazy with overclocking or just want stuff too look cool you go water cooling.

Acomputerguy

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

If i dont plan on over clocking any further will i need to liquid cool it?

D

Deleted member 217926

You don't 'need' to watercool anything. Especially an Nvidia 1xxx series card that hits a wall no matter how you cool it. They all basically overclock the same.

Buy anything but the Founders Edition cards. Those models do thermal throttle.

+1 jaslion No, do not go water cooling.

Do make sure your PC is ready for a GTX 1060:
--Double wide (two slots) x16 PCIe Slot,
--Full height video card slot, not low profile
--Power supply that can deliver the roughly 150 additioanl watts the overclocked GTX 1060 needs above the rest of the PC's power draw.
--PCIe 6 pin power connector for the GTX 1060.

This is not a hard upgrade, and should be very rewarding if you game at all.
Do install, run, enjoy your 1060! Then do use a tool like HWMONITOR (free, google it) to check your temps. They will be fine, but if not then you want a CASE FAN, not water cooling.

Solution

Yes, that MB will work fine with that video card.

Are you updating an existing PC ? Is that MB your current MB ? What power supply do you have?

Acomputerguy

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

I'm upgradin and i have the SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BIEOCI/?tag=pcp0f-21)

That's an excellent power supply. Plenty of good, clean power your config plus a lot left over. You should be all set.