Do I really have to pay to update my bios?

Ryan_187

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
My BIOS is BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 841P041G, 5/16/2008

It says on their website that an update is available, but it links to a third party program that wants to charge me $42 Canadian to update my BIOS. Is there no free way to do this? Any extra info needed I can provide.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Go to the motherboard manufacturer. No where else.
2. Only update the BIOS if you have a real need, and a new one specifically addresses your situation.
3. Do it exactly how they say to do it. No deviations.

Ryan_187

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
It's the actual Pheonix Technologies website that redirects to this. There doesn't seem to be any other options for updating. And in Gateway there are no bios updates listed for my model. It's not recognizing RAM I installed (says installed but not available) even though I checked that it was the right type and that this motherboard can support it, and troubleshooting says the first step is to update my bios. I know something needs work because if I try to access my BIOS from startup it just goes black and doesn't do anything.

Ryan_187

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
It's not recognizing my new RAM and I checked that it was the right type and that my motherboard can support it. It says 8 GB installed but 4 GB usable. If I try to get into my bios on startup the screen just goes black, with the computer on but not doing anything.

Ryan_187

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

RAM is PC2-6400 800MHz
Cant find a brand but there is a serial number. As far as I know, it's the same kind of RAM that was in there, but the only difference is the cards are half the size, but why would it be able to read it at all if it was the wrong kind?

What do you mean half the size? Half the CAPACITY or half the physical size? If half the physical size in terms of length, you CANNOT use that memory!