Question Do I really need a new modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack10525

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I got an email from ComCrap(Xfinity) saying I need to replace my docsis 3.0 modem. It will not be supported sometime in Mar 2023. I had some severe network slowness recently so I had a tech come out and check my equipment and cables. He told me they are still offering docsis 3.0 modems and did not hear that they will be obsolete soon. Docsis 3.1 modems are not cheap. I would rather not have to buy one but if I do are there any decent ones for under $100? They all seem to be around $200!!!! Help out a cheap (poor) old guy....

There are actually multiple types of docsis3 modems. You see numbers like 8x4 or 16x4 or 32x8. They maybe discontinuing some lower end models.
You many times would have to upgrade to a faster modem if you increased you plan. They technically can run gigabit plans on the 32x8 ones but most times they want you to go to docsis3.1 if you sign up for gigabit.

Hard to say what the cable company is up to. What they support/require is not even the same in different parts of the same city because they have different equipment that they may or may no have upgraded yet.

Ralston18

Titan
I am an Xfinity customer.

I "rent" their modem and use my own router.

The advantage being that doing so reduces Xfintity's ability to blame my hardware.

At one time I had admin access to the modem to at least look at things and do some things: E.g., turning off the "hot spot" feature that any nearby Xfinity customer could use to go online. Read logs.

Not sure if the hot spot is really disabled. The modem no longer accepts the user ID and password created when installed.

A modem factory reset might resolve the matter but I am not willing, at the moment, to take such chances.

Don't buy. I do not enjoy the monthly rental cost but the overall burden is on Xfinity when problems occur.

Still take a close look at the EUA/contract. The terms are not in our favor....

Jack10525

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
So I don't necessarily need a docsis 3.1 modem? Just a newer 3.0? I'm on xfinitys modem page. They have a bunch. I'll try to find one that offers gb speed. Thanks for the responses.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I got an email from ComCrap(Xfinity) saying I need to replace my docsis 3.0 modem. It will not be supported sometime in Mar 2023. I had some severe network slowness recently so I had a tech come out and check my equipment and cables. He told me they are still offering docsis 3.0 modems and did not hear that they will be obsolete soon. Docsis 3.1 modems are not cheap. I would rather not have to buy one but if I do are there any decent ones for under $100? They all seem to be around $200!!!! Help out a cheap (poor) old guy....

If you are paying for 1GB or higher service and you want that speed to come though yes, otherwise I would need to know how many channels your D3 modem can bond to and what speed you pay for. You can pretty much google Comcast approved modems and see if you meet the needs of your package, if not, either reduce the package speed to somehting your modem can get or get a new modem. You say modem so I assume you have an actual MODEM and not gateway combind modem and router and in that case you will want to find one with a 2.5 GB ethernet on the back and not single or duial 1 GB ethernet ports if you plan to subscrivbe to speeds higher than that, becasue a router to support 2 1Gb ethernet ports costs 2 arms and a leg and is not worth doing these days. Keep in mind wifi is good at 500 Mbps and most poeple do not actually get any advantage at 1 Gbps since the sending speed of the other end is a limiting factor. If you can download at 1 Gb but I can only send at 100 Mb guess what speed your downloading at from me.. 100 Mb. A place like MS can send that fast, but the speed they pay for is divided by like 1 Billion customers

Ralston18

Titan
Go online to your Xfinity account.

Are you able to change any of the modem's functions? Especially, disable it as a hotspot.

Are you able to use a browser to access the modem via its' default IP (likely 10.0.0.1) with a login name and password that you created?

If you are in a network environment where you want or need modem control then you may lose some of that with a modem "upgrade".

Again, I use rented Xfinity modem (hot spot disabled, router/gateway disabled) and my own router.

The Modem also supports our landline telephones (base station, 3 remote stations) . "Out of date" but necessary here.

= = = =

FYI:

Try Microsoft's Wifi Analyzer (free) via a wireless computer on your network.

Reference:

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/wifi-analyzer/9NBLGGH33N0N

Look at all the other wireless networks around you. How congested is the environment?

Old ISP did the same to me. They must have configs for different types and the phone people just didn't know how to change them. I had my service setup on DOCSIS 3.0. They upgraded my speeds and my connection dropped even though my modem was still in their listed supported ones. Tinhat me thinks it's a scam to get more people on their rented modems. You can never get any honest answers out of ISP on this type of stuff so don't waste your time there. I'd suggest just buying the 3.1 and it should be stable for years. It seems they are phasing out the older stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.