Question Do I really need to flashback bios or even do RMA?

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Greetings!

I have Asus Z170-A motherboard, my whole story begun due to instability of the system as I used to have the whole system frozen with buzzing sound from speakers. So I performed BIOS update to the latest version through EZflash. Things went smooth and update was successful as appeared on BIOS Setup Screen, however, when it made the first auto restart right after the update of the bios, I went back to BIOS setup screen and checked the settings, all seemed to be good, so after save and exit Windows 10 kept on loading screen with white dots spinning, I waited for more than 20 mins nothing happened. Since then I am trying to fix windows without losing any data but nothing worked, chkdsk bootrec bcdrebuild dism sfc clearing CMOS everything.. But nothing is helping windows to start.. I have also confirmed that the SSD is set on MBR and also the BIOS is set on Legacy and not UEFI..

What giving me hope is that when I press F8 before windows loading screen appears and choose safemode with networking, the safemode works perfect.

And through Safemode I have had an idea of uninstalling the GPU drivers and uninstalling some windows updates in hope that it will work but nope.. nothing worked.. I also performed system restore to previous point but that didn't help either..

So now I am totally confused.. I am thinking of doing format and reinstall windows again but I don't want to do it unless its the only solution available..

So please do you have any suggestions?

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
full system spec?

go to safe mode and backup your data to an external something

I5 6600K 3.5ghz
Asus Z170-A motherboard
Corsair DDR4 (4X8) 32GB 2400 running on 2133
Asus Strix 980ti GPU
Kingston SSD 500GB this one where windows is installed.
PNY 240GB SSD
WD Blue HDD 1 TB
WD Blue HDD 3 TB
EVGA Bronze PSU 750

I have tried but cannot create recovery while being in safe mode. Will see if I can clone the drive if I couldn't fix the recent system.

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Ok I have reinstalled a clean copy of windows 10. SSD formatted

What I have figured, not so sure how correct and true it is, that having windows installed using UEFI is making the BIOS update work flawlessly without any issues.

When I reinstalled windows, I made sure that UEFI windows is being used and after completion of windows installation and drivers installation/update, I have performed BIOS update again (which I previously flashedback to older versions) to the latest version available and everything is working very well now without any issues at all.
Previously, the installation of windows was on MBR and BIOS was set on Legacy which most likely caused my windows to stop working when I performed BIOS update.

Hope what I am assuming is right, and leaving it to the technicians and experts to confirm or correct.

Thanks to you guys