Do I really need to pay extra 400 Euros for a G-sync ?? PLEASE HELP!!

Jun 4, 2018
Hello all ,
lets start with my newly assembled build,
Asus strix 1080ti OC
Asus strix z370 E
cpu : 8700k
16gb ram 3200mhz

I pretty much went for a high end PC , only thing left is a monitor which I cannot make choice or decide what manufacturer should I go for especially that most of threads I read says that buy a free sync and don't waste money on a g-sync monitor, and if it happens and I experience any tearing then I can just enable V-sync but doesn't V-sync locks your FPS on 60 ? (as far as I know ) .
Basically I want to go for a monitor which has the following specs :
1440 p
144 +hz
1 ms response time
27+ inch

IF I AM GOING TO GET A G-SYNC OR FREE SYNC IS UP TO YOU GUYS !!
I TRUST YOU <3<3<3

Solution
NOw about getting most of your money.
I would simply look for 144/165hz 1440p monitors without GSync.
GSync does not really worth the money.

144hz or 165Hz monitors already like never have screen tearing even without VSync anyway.
GSync only help to smoothen up games under lower FPS. If your rig can push high FPS, GSync is not really worth it.

FreeSync will work only with AMD GPUs. if you buy FreeSync monitors, they will work just like a normal monitors. FreeSync costs no extra penny. Only nVidia is charging much for the GSync stuffs.

I have Acer XB270HU since about 2 years...I know my opinion 100% about GSync.
Vsync locks fps to refresh rate of your monitor. If your monitor has 144Hz, then vsync locks fps to 144.
You should not use regular vsync. Use adaptive vsync instead.
Adaptive vsync turns vsync on only, when fps is higher than refresh rate.

TLDR - choose non-gsync monitor and adaptive vsync setting in gpu drivers. This is most cost effective way to combat screen tearing on nvidia gpu.

€400 only for GSync? GSync monitor is only about €200 more expensive than the normal ones (incl. FreeSync ones). FreeSync monitors are just normal monitors for nVidia GPUs.
MG279Q is the non-GSync and this one costs about €550
PG279Q is the GSync variant and this one should cost about €750

If you are comparing VG278Q against PG279Q with about €400-500 price difference...and all you can see is just the GSync as difference...well...look again!

NOw about getting most of your money.
I would simply look for 144/165hz 1440p monitors without GSync.
GSync does not really worth the money.

144hz or 165Hz monitors already like never have screen tearing even without VSync anyway.
GSync only help to smoothen up games under lower FPS. If your rig can push high FPS, GSync is not really worth it.

FreeSync will work only with AMD GPUs. if you buy FreeSync monitors, they will work just like a normal monitors. FreeSync costs no extra penny. Only nVidia is charging much for the GSync stuffs.

I have Acer XB270HU since about 2 years...I know my opinion 100% about GSync.

Solution

nope! not really. You just need a really fast refresh rate and that is all.
Trust me, I used GSync already for quite some time.

Oh so all this time people have been spending extra money on gsync for no reason. Got ya.

Not for no reason.
The benefit and the cost still do not match.
The screen tearing is simply non-existence on 144/165Hz monitors even without VSync.
GSync only help to make the game looks smoother under lower FPS e.g. 40FPS. It will not as smooth as 90 FPS, just do not imagine magic.
If your PC can push really high FPS e.g. 120FPS or so, GSync does not bring any benefit.

After using GSYnc for almost 2 years. I wished I had known that before I bought my XB270HU, so I did not have to spend extra €200 for that thing.