Question Do I still need airflow with AIO?

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I am planning on building a new PC with the CPU cooler being a 360mm AIO by Corsair and the GPU cooler coming with the card being a 240mm.

I found a case that has space for a 360mm radiator in the front and also 240mm in the top.
That means there is space for my radiators.
The only other fan is a 120 at the rear.

I am planning on the front ones being intake and the top and rear one being exhaust but obviously the front ones would be blowing warm air into the case since they are cooling the radiator.
Will this still all work out or do I need a case that has even more fans so that I can make sure I blow cool air in for my top radiator to use?

You should be fine, the AIO is cooling the cpu and the air in the case will not get really warm, if you set the top and back as exhaust you should have no major issues, the thing is airflow. A constant exchange through the case with no collection points where hot air gets trapped.

What GPU/CPU do you have and which case are you planning to get?

Last edited:

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
You talk about the CPU but what about the GPU? The GPU would be taking the exhausted air from the CPU cooler so would it then not warm up the GPU?

I do not have any yet as I am planning on building the PC soon.
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K (This might change if the upcoming Ryzen 3950X will be better but as it is coming out on the 28th I can't know yet.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-Retail-Graphics/dp/B005404P9I
CPU AIO: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...O-RGB-360mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060031-WW
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE 11G
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Graphics-Card/GV-N208TAORUSX-W-11GC#kf
Case: ENTHOO EVOLV X
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-X.html
This is something I am very unsure of but generally I am looking for a medium case cause I don't want to extra wasteful space or a 40 KG computer. They alll seem to have 3x120 on the front and 2x120 at the top so the AIO for both the GPU and CPU should fit. Sadly there is only 1 more fan at the rear which is an exhaust so I am worrying that the GPU radiator would be cooled with warm air only which defeats the purpose of having an AIO for the GPU.

Essentially my question is only about the GPU AIO since the CPU AIO on the front is going to be taking fresh air in anyway but will it have a negative effect on the GPU AIO?

If you have the radiator infront with 360mm it is disapated heat which is going into the case so it's not like a hairdryer situation, the gpu will still be cooler with the aio on it than just aircooling for sure. Yes you may get 5c less temp if you only had a front mounted gpu aio but as with most things there is a trade off when you have 2 AIO's. If you want ther coolest possible on the CPU and GPU then you need a customised loop which will do both off 1 cooling system, and that 'aint cheap.

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
  1. I care more about the GPU temps since I will be gaming on the PC and that will have a bigger impact on the FPS so would it be better to install the GPU radiator in the front?
  2. Would it be better overall if I bought a larger case with more fans? The one I linked has 3x 120 at the top and 3x on the front. I am planning to use the 2 lower fan slots in the front for the GPU radiator and then the very top one for a normal fan. That way I would have a normal fan blowing cool air straight into the CPU radiator. Would this make a decent improvement?

I think in your case the Phanteks P600s might be better as you can install the 360mm at the top of the case and the 240mm in the front bottom leaving the front top to bring in cool air with another 120mm fan...Also you can remove the panels to allow for more airflow with the P600s unlike the Evolv which will have less airflow period. I have the H150i Pro and it is very good and I have it installed at the top but I cool my GPU with just its standard cooler...

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Can someone please tell me if my AIO temps would be better if I got the Fractal Design Define S2 Vision Tempered Glass Addressable RGB case?
It has 9 case fans compared to the 7 which allows for more intake instead of relying only on the front intake which would be recycled radiator air.

The Fracta; Design S2 Vision is still a bit closed of on the airflow front..yes with more fans you might get a bit better...The Fractal Design Meshifi S2 would be so, so much better as you would place the AIO in the top and have fresh air coming in from the front which is a Mesh front for the GPU aio...This is a great case for airflow.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/frac...ower-case-white-tempered-glass-ca-088-fd.html

With the Meshifi S2 you could also have the AIO in the front and you would still get better temps than the Vision...though with an AIO in the top extracting air out and 3 front fans bringing air in or the GPU aio in the front you would have the best temps with your GPU running very cool.