Question Do i upgrade to an i7 7700 or go for ryzen

Imyamum

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Hey guys Im currently running an i5 4590 and a gtx 780. Im wanting to upgrade my pc to be somewhat more capable but dont have thousands to throw at it. I have found a 2nd hand i7 7700 and mobo + ssd combo for 300 AUD. My question is it worth going that route and then getting like a 2nd hand 1060 or rx 580 or doing a ryzen build and living with the 780 until i can afford to get an rtx card? Cheers for the help

So, you'd be getting an additional four hyperthreads and a small uptick in single core performance, over that 4590.

Honestly, I'm not sure either that OR a budget Ryzen build offers you enough to be worth it. Depends on WHICH Ryzen part you plan to go with. With a Ryzen 7 part it's probably worth it. With a lower end R3 or R5, not so much. True, you'll still gain some cores and hyperthreads, but you'll LOSE single core performance over your 4590, unless you plan to go with a Ryzen 3000 series part.

I'd seriously consider simply throwing in on the best graphics card you can afford, NOW, and then save for however long is necessary to actually upgrade the platform itself to at least a Ryzen 7, but preferably Coffee lake or newer if you go Intel, or Zen2.

Obviously, the option is there as well to go with a Ryzen build now using a higher end B450 or X470 board, and then upgrade the CPU later to a Ryzen 3000 series SKU.

Truthfully, in your region, the i7-7700 with motherboard (Depending on the model) and an SSD (IF it's not a bargain barrel unit) is not the worst possible deal you will ever see either, but don't expect miracles. You're really only going to see a performance increase, at all, on titles with good multithreaded optimization and keep in mind that Windows and BIOS patches for the Spectre and Meltdown variants have taken somewhat of a toll on the hyperthreaded performance of these Intel parts as well, so unlike in the past you're not going to see the full benefit of those extra hyperthreads in all probability. Maybe 60-70% of what you'd have normally seen by the extra four threads.

Imyamum

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
So, you'd be getting an additional four hyperthreads and a small uptick in single core performance, over that 4590.

Honestly, I'm not sure either that OR a budget Ryzen build offers you enough to be worth it. Depends on WHICH Ryzen part you plan to go with. With a Ryzen 7 part it's probably worth it. With a lower end R3 or R5, not so much. True, you'll still gain some cores and hyperthreads, but you'll LOSE single core performance over your 4590, unless you plan to go with a Ryzen 3000 series part.

I'd seriously consider simply throwing in on the best graphics card you can afford, NOW, and then save for however long is necessary to actually upgrade the platform itself to at least a Ryzen 7, but preferably Coffee lake or newer if you go Intel, or Zen2.

Obviously, the option is there as well to go with a Ryzen build now using a higher end B450 or X470 board, and then upgrade the CPU later to a Ryzen 3000 series SKU.

Truthfully, in your region, the i7-7700 with motherboard (Depending on the model) and an SSD (IF it's not a bargain barrel unit) is not the worst possible deal you will ever see either, but don't expect miracles. You're really only going to see a performance increase, at all, on titles with good multithreaded optimization and keep in mind that Windows and BIOS patches for the Spectre and Meltdown variants have taken somewhat of a toll on the hyperthreaded performance of these Intel parts as well, so unlike in the past you're not going to see the full benefit of those extra hyperthreads in all probability. Maybe 60-70% of what you'd have normally seen by the extra four threads.

Thankyou for your input, would you have any build specs for around a 1400-1700 AUD budget? Either being Intel or AMD with the ability to goto 3000 when it comes out?

So, looking at that idea there are two ways to approach this and I'd need to know which way you prefer to address the situation.

The first way, you build the system for NOW, but with the intention that it can be upgraded later with Ryzen 3000 at some future date.

The second way, you build the system for now, EXCEPT for the CPU which you buy the most minimal model the platform will still run with while keeping an eye to not going so low that the system is completely unusable for gaming during the interim period.