Do ISP speeds affect the entire network?

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
So, sorry for the weird and long title, but I didn’t know another way of putting this question. I’ll ask my question with this example:

I have a large internet, about 100-150 users. I want everyone on the internet to get at least a 25Mbps speed. Our current speed from our ISP is 25Mbps. So if each person is using the internet, will they all get this 25Mbps speed? Or will it get cut down to being super slow with the amount of people on the network? I only want to know if the ISP speed will directly affect the end user.

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
your connection will not support everyone at 25Mbps if they are all using it your bandwidth will be shared by users. 25 is ancient speed you should hsave at least 100Mbps for business if not Gbps.

USAFRet

Titan

100 users in a 25 megabit pipe = everyone is pissed at you. And then walks out.
That will absolutely not work.

Had 25 user environment, highly web based, VOIP, had a Fiber 20/20. Too slow (Took them months and the needed the ISP to get in on it to only tell them what I had been telling them for months. ITS NOT ENOUGH). on a 50/50 now and everything is all fine and dandy. Most of my clients have 50+ for 10-30 users.

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

He is 10-20 times the users you had so I would say at least 100 Mbps. VOIP doesn't take that much bandwidth and for web based businesses I found that once connected to the app its just data transferring at that point. Best thing honestly though would be software monitor of IP traffic and then see what you are using to determine need.