Do it yourself PCsystem review

G

Tom's article on building your system forgot an important note to people building they system, although it is pretty minor for people who have builded a system before.. it is crucial to know that STATIC ELECTRICITY can be your DEVIL FRIEND.

Anti static strap should be identified before touchign the case.

Cheers,

Mike

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD and dream system should not be used in same sentance.

Tom also failed to detail the parts list with his pricing.
$995 for that piece of crap seems high.

I can build P3 800Mhz for around $900 with same stuff. not even overclocked.

G

"...that piece of crap..."

What about the system do you see as a "piece of crap"? Seemed like all name brand, well know and tested components to me.

My critisism of the article relates to software. I assume the builder of such a system will want an operating system to go on it as well as a few applications. Most Dell, Gateway, etc systems will come with some sort of software bundle. So, a lot would depend on what the builder already has avaialble. I know that with the software I use for work, I can easily spend several times more on software than what the hardware costs.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you say ing that you can get an I815e and a p3-800 $100 dollars cheaper? The p3 is currently listed on pricewatch at its cheapest price at $179.00 that is $70.00 more than the athlon 800. The asus I815e sells for $108.00 so in my book the same system will run you $47.00 more for the pentium. any parts other than those if you get them cheaper must also be deducted from his system, so prey tell how can you build it cheaper?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I think Tom has done a great job on this article. It is a good idea to introduce newbies to the world of hardware and how easy it can be when researched properly. It also serves to re-educate certain maligned hardware enthusiasts(i.e. idiots). God knows they need some brushing up on their skills.

His pick of AMD over Intel goes to show that AMD is the price/performance leader(even when you factor in a good HSF and 300 watt PS - which is manditory for me whether it's Intel or AMD).

This was the budget system - for $200 more you could get the power system(AMD 1200 MHZ). My suggestion is that Tom's next article have an equvilent Intel system. It should serve to reinforce AMD's dominance as the price/performance leader.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>>I can build P3 800Mhz for around $900 with same
No, you can't. You can only buy it on sale, when it cost less that all it parts.
>>not even overclocked
??? Whad do you mean by that? You need to wake up !

All i can offer you is the truth. Nothing more.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I personally think the article was bad, and as far as demonstrating to newbies how to build computers, it goes right down to worse than useless...
They showed two pictures per part, with some words scattered in between... they didn't warn about putting the cooler on properly, nor how to choose and use the compound, nor even how to actually put the cooler on... same for all other parts... I was REALLY excited when I saw the title of the article, now I'm REALLY dissapointed...:-(

I didn't learn anything new from the article, and I'm not nearly expert enough for that to be the case -- I never even put a Athlon class system myself:(

point by point:
processor: OK nothing too much to screw up there... still, they should have mentioned how to know that the CPU is properly oriented (besides "if its not, it won't go in")
cooler: DANGEROUSLY non-informative... doesn't instruct how to choose or apply the paste properly, maybe even remove the tape from the heatsink; doesn't mention at all how to install it, a critical step which has enormous damage potential... etc...
memory: again, nothing much to screw up here...
back plate: I don't think they actually say anywhere which actual case they use, nor did they warn of possible quirks with different cases, or how to choose proper one...
Cards: I personally was taught never to grab the board with my fingers as shown in the picture, but rather by its edges...
in my experience newbies never know how to properly install the PCI cards, some details would have been appreciated there...

...etc etc etc...

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I't SO easy to put a PC together... especially when we're talking about the A7V!

"just put the PCI card in one of the slots" while many of us know for a long time that it's not a good idea to put just any card in just any slot.

Also, some of the pictures aren't very clear in what exactly they show.

Lexington

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
"Tom also failed to detail the parts list with his pricing" Yeah, and looks like you did too. Practice what you preach. If you can build it for $900 with a P3, why don't you list your components, their prices, and where you are getting these quotes? Just a suggestion.

G

Good point, for those who dont know, Taking off your coat, walking barefoot across a carpeted room, or doing your hair builds up enough static electricty to wreck your computer, even if you cant feel it, there will be no sparks, no smoke or flames, It will just not work, ever again

So long and thanks for all the fish

G

I am 15 and have just built my first system. When I read Tom's article I was disappointed, it didn't contain near enought as much detail as I would have liked and no "extras" such as how to choose parts, and as previously said things to look out for. I built my system with no previous experiance but I would have needed to look up some more information if I was trying to build a computer of the back of the article.

If God didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat?!