Question Do most modern Motherboards have support for PC speakers?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Is that what he's asking, the mono, "beep" diagnostic speaker? That will make the question strange 'cuz without that, there would be no way for the Mobo to send out diagnostic codes "beeps." I say it BETTER have (support) one.

It is but most these days also have diagnostic LEDs and a 14 cell LED numerical display which will give you failure codes. the PC speaker beeps are largely redundant to that these days, but it IS still supported.

Since the OP mentions speakers, plural, I assume the concern is that. The last computer I had that didn't support speakers and stereo sound, was a Compaq 80286, bought used in 1992. It did have an internal speaker, which except for diagnostic beeps, also could play some sound files.

I am assuming speakers is not diagonotic beeps here. You also need to know what do you mean by speaker support? Motherboards usually have multiple audio channel outputs supporting stereo or various surround sound setups but most good speakers will still need a separate amp to drive them.

I'd say most modern CONSUMER motherboards have support both for a diagnostic speaker - to hear the 'beep' codes after POST - AND stereo audio of some sort.

Commercial or industrial grade motherboards are probably probably a lot less likely to provide on-board audio, although even they would find it worthwhile to provide a way to hear POST diagnostic beep codes. You don't generally find these boards in the average computer shop though.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'd say most modern CONSUMER motherboards have support both for a diagnostic speaker - to hear the 'beep' codes after POST - AND stereo audio of some sort.

Commercial or industrial grade motherboards are probably probably a lot less likely to provide on-board audio, although even they would find it worthwhile to provide a way to hear POST diagnostic beep codes. You don't generally find these boards in the average computer shop though.

I can confirm Supermicro boards all have PC speaker headers, and none have onboard audio. That covers a significant portion of your non-prebuilt commercial motherboards.

Mar 8, 2019
Yeah I wanted to clarify that I meant to say PC Speaker(Singular) the one for BIOS beeps,and as Rouge said I have noot seen one of those in a system from 2013 onwards really.Sorry for all the confusion i caused.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah I wanted to clarify that I meant to say PC Speaker(Singular) the one for BIOS beeps,and as Rouge said I have noot seen one of those in a system from 2013 onwards really.Sorry for all the confusion i caused.
And i mostly wanted the PC speaker for DOS sound support as most of my older games create sounds only through a PC speaker.

The header is on most every board, you can buy that speaker for like a dollar at any computer store. Just as for a PC Diagnostic speaker.

https://smile.amazon.com/Motherboar...ostic+speaker&qid=1552404027&s=gateway&sr=8-1