Do Power Supply rating and wattage affect overclocking?

Oliver_16

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
So I have a rather cheapish PSU, This one:http://www.microcenter.com/product/457414/500_Watt_80_Plus_ATX_Power_Supply

So I have my R5 1400 overclocked to 3.65Ghz but I want to push it to 3.8
But everytime I run Prime95 test on all 8 threads for like 5 minutes my monitor shuts off and my mouse and keyboard also shuts off but my PC would still be running.
I was wondering if its because of this PSU and was wondering if upgrading to this one will work?
This:http://www.microcenter.com/product/473991/650_Watts_ATX_80_Plus_Gold_Fully_Modular_Power_Supply_with_RGB_Lighting

Solution
keep in mind that every chip is different and you may just have hit the limit for the one you got. the motherboard is also a factor and may not be able to give the power to the cpu you are asking for. so many variables it is hard to nail down what exactly is the limiting factor. so just having a 2000w psu does not mean everything else is going to cooperate and allow for massive overclocks. read any of the reviews done on this site and many others and you'll see a different result every time. tom's recently did a roundup of a dozen ryzen cpu's and got different results for every ship when dropped into the identical system set-up.
A good PSU protects all the other parts in the computer. A bad one can damge them. You might need more Voltage for your OC to be stable. again more load on the PSU.
There are PSU hierarchy charts available. I would get one that's been tetsed and rated by the experts.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's not so much the rated watts on the label. it's the quality and stability of that power. the evga you have is not the best, it's not junk but not really designed for overclocking.

this one would be more suitable and better than the thermaltake you're looking at or possibly the 650w version if you want to spend $10 more.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/460287/CX550M_550_Watt_80_Plus_Bronze_Semi-Modular_ATX_Power_Supply

pretty decent psu for budget build and it should handle the oc load well enough. how much power you need is determined not just by the cpu but the gpu and the rest of the system. likely 550w is more than enough but i'd need to know the rest of your specs to be sure

This sounds more like your monitor and keyboard are going into sleep mode. Since your PSU doesn't supply power to your monitor, it can't be the reason that it is shutting off. While your PSU may not be the best, it is certainly not the worst. I DO agree that for a serious overclock, you would want a better PSU.

Oliver_16

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
This is my specs. And thanks for your guys input it's appreciated.
ASRock AB350m Pro4 Mobo
GTX 1060 6gb PNY XLR8 EDITION
2x4gb 8Gb DDR4 2400 Ram
EVGA 500w 80+
3x 1 terabyte hdd's
R5 1400 @3.65ghz

So im pretty much given up on overclocking this CPU as I cannot go over 3.65ghz.
I tried setting the voltage at 1.35 to 1.40 and realbench and Prime95 crashes my monitor and my keyboard and mouse but the PC is still on.
So I'm just going to set it in current at 3.65ghz
But thanks for the answers guys I wanted to see if I can overclocked it more. Preferably at 3.80 but it just can't.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
keep in mind that every chip is different and you may just have hit the limit for the one you got. the motherboard is also a factor and may not be able to give the power to the cpu you are asking for. so many variables it is hard to nail down what exactly is the limiting factor. so just having a 2000w psu does not mean everything else is going to cooperate and allow for massive overclocks. read any of the reviews done on this site and many others and you'll see a different result every time. tom's recently did a roundup of a dozen ryzen cpu's and got different results for every ship when dropped into the identical system set-up.

Solution
If you see something on a chart that looks good there is usually a test report or article about it. Then you can see if it makes or in some cases exceeds it's rated power. If you stick with one tester you can expect the results to be comparable.
There really is no standard test. Mfg. can make up their own tests and say whatever they want. GPU makers have lists of approved PSUs also to protect their products.