Question Do Routers in stores have built on modems

May 14, 2019
-If your ISP can provide you a modem and router all in one combo why would you have a separate modems and router ? surely a rubbish modem would make your internet rubbish as well

-Do the Routers you buy in stores like the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 WiFi Cable & Fibre Router have a built in modem?

-Also would a Router like one from my VPN provider perfect privacy need a Modem ?

Last edited:
You always need some kind of "modem" or similar device. Ethernet can only go 100 meters so you need a different technology to go to the ISP office. The function of a modem is convert from that technology to ethernet.

The reason people use separate modems and routers is there is very limited selection of modem/router combo units. If you need certain feature...like vpn in your case...there maybe none or a very limited selection. In the VPN case you are limited by the CPU power and if you want to say run vpn at more than say 30mbps you will need a router with a vpn accelerator. This is a fairly uncommon router none that have modems.

Reactions: Soulman2477
May 14, 2019
You always need some kind of "modem" or similar device. Ethernet can only go 100 meters so you need a different technology to go to the ISP office. The function of a modem is convert from that technology to ethernet.

The reason people use separate modems and routers is there is very limited selection of modem/router combo units. If you need certain feature...like vpn in your case...there maybe none or a very limited selection. In the VPN case you are limited by the CPU power and if you want to say run vpn at more than say 30mbps you will need a router with a vpn accelerator. This is a fairly uncommon router none that have modems.

My VPN provider provides
- Netgear R7000 DD-WRT
-Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 DD-WRT
-Asus RT-AC3200 TomatoUSB
Vilfo

what do you recommend and do i need a router of so could i use my isp provided router?

Is very simple...

Store-bought will spell out MODEM, or DSL (RJ11 WAN port) or DOCSIS (cable).

An ISP supplied box with 1 LAN port on the back=plain modem, with 4 LAN ports=modem/router combo.

Experienced of us prefer separate Modem + router boxes = more flexibility, can update WIFI without disturbing modem. Modem only does one thing, the only things you are looking for in a modem, able to handle 1gig speed if you have buying 100+ mbit service, and once u get it, you leave it alone and go setup the rest of your other stuff inside your house.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Fios actually has a separate modem from the router which is nice. since it's fiber it takes a different type of modem than cable does. so was easy to pick a quality router to use other than the one they provide which can't even come close to the gb speed i pay for.

but in stores you have to look at the box. some have built in modem, some do not. they are all different. also something to note is you can't get faster than what you pay for. so if you pay for 100 mb/s and buy a 4 GB/s router, this does not mean you will get that speed from your internet service. seems obvious but folks ask about this all the time.

My VPN provider provides
- Netgear R7000 DD-WRT
-Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 DD-WRT
-Asus RT-AC3200 TomatoUSB
Vilfo

what do you recommend and do i need a router of so could i use my isp provided router?
I will recommend something completely different when it comes to router vpn. I would use asus RT-AC86U or GT-AC5300 with merlin firmware. There are some other models but they are AX which is too new on the market to really be of much use. The thing that makes these different is these devices have a hardware vpn accelerator. Most routers you will only get maybe 50mbps because the overhead on openvpn is so high. These routers can get over 250mbs with some vpn providers. Merlin is does not have all the features dd-wrt has but it does support the vpn acceleration. Also be aware if you have a very high speed internet connection...say above 250mbps you pretty much can't use advanced features on any router. Almost all routers use a function to bypass the CPU so they can get gigabit speeds. If you use things like firewalls or content filters you are running via the cpu and most routers will not exceed much over 200mbps

Sometimes the modem provided by the ISP is proprietary, so that the ISP can configure it remotely, as in increasing(or decreasing!) your speed if you upgrade to a different tier without having to send a tech to your house. Their terms of service may also limit you to using only modems provided by the ISP.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The issue I have with ISP provided modem/wireless combos is the wireless is usually not very good. Antenna's are usually built-in (hidden) and low quality. This will mean reduced range. With all that technology packed into one small package, it will run hot and the electronics may degrade over time.

I have an approved modem from my ISP that I purchased, and a separate ASUS WIFI router that has been running for nearly 6 years! I will probably replace the router soon as it looks like ASUS is no longer releasing Firmware updates, and it could eventually become a security issue. I will still keep it and use it as a Wi-Fi extender though.

-If your ISP can provide you a modem and router all in one combo why would you have a separate modems and router ? surely a rubbish modem would make your internet rubbish as well

-Do the Routers you buy in stores like the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 WiFi Cable & Fibre Router have a built in modem?

-Also would a Router like one from my VPN provider perfect privacy need a Modem ?

Yes they sell them as separates or unified units.

Why sell them separate? Because the cable modem portion might not match the isps connection type. Buying combo units are usually weaker models. Buying separates typically gives you more control over your network. Cable modems rarely need replacing but routers advance every 3 years or so. So why pay for the cable modem again when you upgrade?

Btw: the r7000 is a router and its garbage. As much as i like netgear that thing is horrid. The r7800 is a much better choice.

May 14, 2019
I will recommend something completely different when it comes to router vpn. I would use asus RT-AC86U or GT-AC5300 with merlin firmware. There are some other models but they are AX which is too new on the market to really be of much use. The thing that makes these different is these devices have a hardware vpn accelerator. Most routers you will only get maybe 50mbps because the overhead on openvpn is so high. These routers can get over 250mbs with some vpn providers. Merlin is does not have all the features dd-wrt has but it does support the vpn acceleration. Also be aware if you have a very high speed internet connection...say above 250mbps you pretty much can't use advanced features on any router. Almost all routers use a function to bypass the CPU so they can get gigabit speeds. If you use things like firewalls or content filters you are running via the cpu and most routers will not exceed much over 200mbps

So what VPN router should I get? Any of the ones I suggested sbove provided by my VPN provider perfect privacy?

I am changing to BT the UK one if 2 packages so I need a VPN router to support that
Your Stay Fast Guarantee 53Mb
Upload speed range 17Mb - 18Mb
Or
Your Stay Fast Guarantee 32Mb
Upload speed range 8Mb - 9Mb

Last edited:
So what VPN router should I get? Any of the ones I suggested sbove provided by my VPN provider perfect privacy?

I am changing to BT the UK one if 2 packages so I need a VPN router to support that
Or

I'd suggest reading through the VPN provider docs to find guides for setting up on specific hardware. Most of them have them for popular devices. None will as easy as using their client.

If you have a NAS or any server that runs 24/7 I'd recommend running the vpn on that. It's going to be easier to run, better hardware, and your router can enforce rules on the traffic.
Your router would route to the server and then the vpn would route it back and out to the internet. This makes it easy to only allow the vpn source ip to make outbound connections. You could use your windows client for this and run it 24/7.

May 14, 2019
Hi

This will be my last post to this thread unless you tempt me back lol

-All ISPs in the UK to my knowledge give out Router + Modem Combos e.g BT smart Hub. So why does 95% of the internet talk about Routers with out modems built in then not explain you need a modem to use them.

-Why is it so complex when looking online to no if you can plug your ADSL or VDSL cable into the router your looking at it never mentions if it’s a modem as well or if you need one

- I am buying a AC2800 Wireless MU-MIMO VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Archer VR2800. It can work with my ISP has a ADSL and VDSl connection and supports my VPN option

-Plus why do people forget to mention if you have a Rubbish modem your internet could suffer.

Last edited:

Or
Perfect privacy...thats an oxy moron.

Theres literally dozens of ways for the server to trace back to your real ip. Even using a more secure browaee like tails will garnwr unwanted attention by govt agencies its also not hack proof.

The only thing a vpn gaurentees is your isp doesnt know who you are talking to. But the person you are talking to can more than know who you are.

Now if you wanted to remote in and vpn to your private network thats a different story. They also make sense on unknown networks like hotel or conference wifi.

Last edited:
Hi

This will be my last post to this thread unless you tempt me back lol

-All ISPs in the UK to my knowledge give out Router + Modem Combos e.g BT smart Hub. So why does 95% of the internet talk about Routers with out modems built in then not explain you need a modem to use them.

-Why is it so complex when looking online to no if you can plug your ADSL or VDSL cable into the router your looking at it never mentions if it’s a modem as well or if you need one

- I am buying a AC2800 Wireless MU-MIMO VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Archer VR2800. It can work with my ISP has a ADSL and VDSl connection and supports my VPN option

-Plus why do people forget to mention if you have a Rubbish modem your internet could suffer.
Adsl vdsl is a fringe market. There are few commercial choices that combine the two for you. Even with cable modem, which is by far the biggest, you get few choices of combined systems. Seperates just give you flexibility. Buying separates gives you more options for vpn that works with the router. Vpn is handled by the router not the adsl vdsl modem. A modems only purpose is to change your isps internet communication standard into something that would work with the ubiquitous ethernet and wifi that 99.9% of internet devices work with.

Im not sure why ita so hard for you. But obviously your current setup is inadequate in some way or you wouldnt be looking with such frustration

#2 5 or 7 on this list would likely work well as modem. call your isp and ask if they support that modem model.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/dsl-m...|626&msclkid=a065623c67071efd04d43ee0a65f60ad

Then look for a good router like ubiquiti, netgear, or tp link. Its not rocket science. I know i am a rocket scientist.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
You don't buy a router with a modem built-in. You buy a modem with a router built-in. That's why you are having difficulty in your research. It's always MODEM + router. Never ROUTER + modem.