[SOLVED] Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have heard that Spectre/Meltdown patches for Windows 10 result in performance hit for certain processors. I have 5 PCs with the following processors:

I7-7700K
I5-6500
I7-7700HQ
I7-4800MQ
M5-6Y57

Am I affected ?

Does Windows 11 have these patches as well and do they result in performance hit under Windows 11 ?

Solution
I have heard that Spectre/Meltdown patches for Windows 10 result in performance hit for certain processors. I have 5 PCs with the following processors:

I7-7700K
I5-6500
I7-7700HQ
I7-4800MQ
M5-6Y57

Am I affected ?

Does Windows 11 have these patches as well and do they result in performance hit under Windows 11 ?
Yes you are affected and in both operating systems. I think 4th gen Haswell was slightly worse off than the Skylake stuff. In terms of should you worry about it and is it a big performance hit then in most cases no. It's more likely to impact certain enterprise workloads than typical desktop use.

I found one of the mitigations Control Flow Guard in Windows 10 affected the performance of Battlefield 5 on my i7 6700K...

I7-7700K
I5-6500
I7-7700HQ
I7-4800MQ
M5-6Y57

Am I affected ?

Yes you are affected and in both operating systems. I think 4th gen Haswell was slightly worse off than the Skylake stuff. In terms of should you worry about it and is it a big performance hit then in most cases no. It's more likely to impact certain enterprise workloads than typical desktop use.

I found one of the mitigations Control Flow Guard in Windows 10 affected the performance of Battlefield 5 on my i7 6700K. I simply created a rule to disable it for that game and the problem was gone.

Solution
So if I create a rule in CFG for some .exe, then it disables the Spectre/Meltdown patches for that .exe ?
No to disable the Spectre/Meltdown patches you either need to do it in PowerShell with the Set-ExecutionPolicy command:

Or use the InSpectre app (also mentioned in above). Control Flow Guard isn't specifically targeted at Spectre although it does protect against other exploits that attempt to change the control flow of a program like Spectre. I just mention it because it's one of the exploit defences in Windows that had a noticeable performance impact on a CPU similar to your 7700K.

USAFRet

Titan

I7-7700K
I5-6500
I7-7700HQ
I7-4800MQ
M5-6Y57

Am I affected ?

Have you documented any actual performance issue?
Further, does it actually affect your gameplay?

Not some nebulous percentage seen by others...you personally.

Don't fix a problem that you may not have.