Question Do three beeps mean a defective motherboard?

Sep 15, 2020
My PC won't reach POST.

I'm a first-time builder and after making the mistake of putting all the parts together only to find that the machine wouldn't output video, I've followed the troubleshooting checklist and added a speaker to check the beep codes.

I hear one long beep then three short beeps (here's a video), which I initially thought meant 'AGP error' (graphics?) But according to the manual, my motherboard runs AMI BIOS, which doesn't mention long beeps! According to Gigabyte:

"3 short beep : basic memory 64K address check error." ... What does that mean?

Based on the assumption that "memory" relates to RAM, I tried sticks in the two slots in each permutation. 3600 MHz sticks aren't on my MoBo's "qualified vendors list" so I tried 3200RAM, which is. Three beeps for every combination.

The above tests were carried out using just the MoBo, RAM, CPU, PSU and speaker.

When fully assembled, every fan (on GPU, PSU, CPU cooler and case fans) will spin upon pressing the power button, which suggests (most of?) the MoBo is working and there's no problem with the power supply (here's my parts list).

So is my motherboard defective? If there's another possibility, what could I test?

Legacy beep codes are specific to the type of BIOS. In AMI BIOS 1 long 3 short is a memory failure, but with AWARD BIOS 1 long 3 short is a video card not detected error.

As you have an AMI Bios three short beeps is a problem with RAM.
Your CPU officially supports up to 3200MHz OC RAM.
If the kit you chose does not appear on the Motherboard QVL then they have not been tested.
List your RAM Part No and Gigabyte Motherboard?

You may need to update your Bios or return the kit you have for compatible memory.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020
Your CPU officially supports up to 3200MHz OC RAM.
If the kit you chose does not appear on the Motherboard QVL then they have not been tested.
List your RAM Part No and Gigabyte Motherboard?
You may need to update your Bios or return the kit you have for compatible memory.

Thanks for the response!

I thought it was the motherboard (not CPU) that dictates maximum RAM speed? The 3600 kit doesn't appear on the QVL but the 3200 that I tried afterwards definitely does, which is why I tested that too.

My MoBo (linked above) is a Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX (rev. 1.0) and supports up to 5100 OC.

Here's the QVL. The 3600 kit part no is CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 (not officially supported) and the 3200 MHz part number is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (two-thirds of the way down page 3).

Suggestions appreciated :)

It is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip that dictates frequency control.
Stick with a 3200MHz kit that have been tested.
Although a 3600Mhz kit may work it will involve Bios changes to Timings and Dram voltage with no guarantee they will work and be stable.

BTW: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX (rev. 1.0 supports up to 64GB at MAX 3200MHz and has 2 x memory slots.
B550 AORUS PRO AX (rev. 1.0) supports up to MAX 5500OC RAM in 4slots and up to 128GB.

Your parts list indicate you have Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX

Update your Bios to latest version. Clear your CMOS and test with one module installed as per your Manual recommendation.

Sep 15, 2020
It is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip that dictates frequency control.
Stick with a 3200MHz kit that have been tested.
Although a 3600Mhz kit may work it will involve Bios changes to Timings and Dram voltage with no guarantee they will work and be stable.

BTW: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX (rev. 1.0 supports up to 64GB at MAX 3200MHz and has 2 x memory slots.
B550 AORUS PRO AX (rev. 1.0) supports up to MAX 5500OC RAM in 4slots and up to 128GB.

Your parts list indicate you have Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX

Update your Bios to latest version. Clear your CMOS and test with one module installed as per your Manual recommendation.

The motherboard specs clearly state that my MoBo has "Support for DDR4 5100(O.C.) ... MHz memory modules" and the QVL starts at 4866MHz, which is clearly more than MAX 3200MHz! I have the B550i (mini-ITX model) so I don't really understand why you're even mentioning B550.

As I said, I followed this forum's troubleshooting list, which includes clearing CMOS and installing one module of RAM (again, every possible combination of stick/slot, from both 3200 and 3600 MHz kits). Updating to the latest version via the Q-Flash Plus button doesn't fix the issue either.

While I appreciate the responses, you need to read my posts more thoroughly and follow the links!