Question Do you have a program to test the life expectancy of hardware?

kifirefox

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
I'm not talking about testing speed, power, capacity and whether it can be overclocked.

I'm talking about a program that tests the lifespan of hardware and possibly how long it will last in the future.

I'm saying this because there's a funny program, Hard Disk Sentinel, which deduces the estimated remaining life of the HDD and SSD...

and this influences many other factors that the program doesn't take into account, such as date of manufacture, origin of manufacture, good or unknown brand or generic company, etc.

Do you have a program to test the life expectancy of hardware?

Only storage devices may have such capability to predict life expectancy.
It is done using S.M.A.R.T. - self monitoring and reporting technology.
It's a bunch of hardware parameters collected during life of the device. From values of those parameters you can estimate, how well device has been working and what issues it has encountered previously.

Other hardware do not have this type of tech and therefore there is no such software for other type of hardware.
And probably will never be.

Reactions: Grobe

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Storage medium lifespan can be deduced based on it's number of writes or cycles (I cannot think of what it is called with a SSD).

Other hardware pretty much is a works until it doesn't. Most of the time it is more along the lines of works until it no longer suits the needs of the user. It is not uncommon at all for hardware like CPU, motherboard, memory and such to long outlive its usefulness.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Storage medium lifespan can be deduced based on it's number of writes or cycles (I cannot think of what it is called with a SSD).

Other hardware pretty much is a works until it doesn't. Most of the time it is more along the lines of works until it no longer suits the needs of the user. It is not uncommon at all for hardware like CPU, motherboard, memory and such to long outlive its usefulness.
The only major component I think I've lost in the last ten years was a video card. It would be nice if an AI program could analyze all the data from a given rig and estimate lifetime or performance expectations over time of each component on an individual basis. Some people push their systems harder than others. Because chips can degrade over time, I am sure there are some numbers the AI can analyze.

USAFRet

Titan
Even for hard drives and SSDs, that prediction is "iffy".

They can only report when things start to go wrong.

ex:
A 5 week old HDD that went from seemingly perfect to dead dead dead in 36 hours.
A 7 month old HDD that went from 0 to 14,000+ bad sectors in about a week,
A 3 year old SSD that died instantly. NO warning.

Other components? No.