Do you recommend Liquid Cooling or Air Cooling?

BearHunter1

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
currently i'm looking at a Intel Core i5 4590, what type of cpu fan do you recommend?

liquid cooling or air cooling?

Wouldn't liquid cooling be unsafe since were dealing with electronics?

Archgaull

Admirable
Liquid cooling can be unsafe, however the risk is minimized if you do it properly, follow all directions, and maintain it as per manufacturer direction. AIO Coolers like Corsair H series or NZXT X series are good liquid coolers that have very low risk of springing a leak.

That being said, the majority of people will argue that air coolers are just as good, and they probably are. I went for a Corsair H50 in my rig because it was on sale for $40, and I wanted to give Liquid Cooling a try. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, as it's both efficient and quiet, but some people will suggest the CM 212 EVO over the Corsair H50.

In the end, It comes down to preference, I find.

BearHunter1

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

okay. kind of off topic. but I found a cheap CPU Fan (Air) for 9.99 Arctic Cooling Alphine 11 Plus Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler.

its specs are:

600-2000 RPM

14.0 dbA

are these specs good? would they keep my CPU cool?

The 4590 is a locked core cpu so you won't be overclocking it. If you live in a hot climate and have the cpu under load a lot or want a quieter cooler, I'd go for something like a 212 evo, 212 plus or be quiet pure rock. I wouldn't expect a lot out of a $10 cooler. If you'll notice, it's similar to the stock cooler. A large hunk of metal with a small fan on it. More efficient coolers use heat pipes with cooling fins and tend to be pretty quiet (like the ones I mentioned). If considering the alpine 11 plus, I'd save the $10 and use the stock cooler.

It should run fine on the stock cooler, even if it gets a bit warm. The only real reason for an aftermarket cooler on a locked cpu is to get a quieter cooler. The stock cooler can be a bit noisy if it has to spin up to full speed often. I'm also not a fan of the junky plastic clips on the stock cooler, most aftermarket coolers use a backplate with screws to hold everything in place. Less chance for it to work its way loose and lose good contact with the cpu like the stock coolers are prone to.

Liquid cooling is safe enough most of the time, leaks can happen. More than likely other things will be problematic like the software, fan control, pumps going bad etc. They use pretty cheapy parts on aio coolers but it's to keep cost down. An aio vs a custom loop buying quality individual parts is $60-100 vs $250-300+ so it stands to reason. There's no reason to need water cooling for a locked cpu. Small budget aio's don't cool much better than decent air coolers, tend to be louder etc. Most larger air coolers outperform the budget aio's and come close to the larger aio's like the h100i while costing less and less moving parts to break. Either aio or large air cooler (aka noctua nh-d14, phanteks tc14pe or similar) are way overkill for a 4590 and a waste of money.