Do you think that Navi will bring good rivals to RTX 2070/2080 ?

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
im still sitting on my R9 290x and its been an amazing card for me, but cyberpunk and more great titles are coming and I don't know whether to upgrade or not

mjbn1977

Distinguished
This is only my guess, but I think it will come be something like this:

AMD will introduce 2 cards that will be their new middle class. One card will be around RTX2060 performance and a second higher middle class card which will beat the RTX 2070 by a little but not reach Radeon 7 or RTX 2080. At a later point (pretty sure not in 2019) they will also introduce a high-end Navi, which will beat the RTX 2080 but will stay behind the RTX 2080Ti. I think all Navi cards will feature somewhere between 9 and 12 GB GDDR6. Pricewise we don't know. 7nm is still very new and gpu chips are large...I think it will be a time before the smaller manufacturing process will be cost effective with large dies. The main reason why Nvidia didn't use 7nm for the Turing chips was that yields in the 7nm were just not good enough yet.

But no new Navi cards will show up before October. At launch I am sure they will have a card that will be faster than RTX 2070. But I don't think they will have one that is faster then the Radeon VII.

Again, this is only what I think based on news, rumors and based on what I would do if I would be AMD from a Marketing perspective. I mean, think about it. They just released a $700 card that just barely competes with the RTX 2080. There is no way they will throw a Navi card for less money with more power on the market just 6 month later. They would really anger their hardcore fans who now buying the new Radeon VII for at least $700.

And if you need a new card for Cyberpunk 2077 than you can relax anyway. I don't think we will see this game before the end of 2019 (maybe in the last quarter of 2019) but more likely February or April 2020.

In what resolution do you usually play?

WildCard999

Titan

Upgrade post game release if the performance is needed, really no point to upgrade in anticipation.

A friend of mine is still using a XFX R9 290 which I flashed the BIOS to the 290X to this day without issues.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Also, I don't think Cyberpunk will be that kind of hardware killer. First, it is developed for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. The consoles are little older, so there are limits in terms of what they can do graphics wise in order to make the game run ok on those. Second, CD Project Red is famous for optimizing games top notch. I predict that the game will scale very well to different system and run smooth on a variety of different configurations. I mean look at Witcher 3.....can anyone think of a better optimized RPG ever?

WildCard999

Titan
I'll have to look into it, thanks! Haven't played a Wolfenstein game since the original Xbox.

I've been spending my time on the PS4 playing Tera & Red Dead Redemption 2 then playing Ace Combat 7 while I wait for The Division 2 to release.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

We are a little off topic, but yes, Wolfenstein II is a super crazy fun single player shooter. Don't miss that. Another awesome game, but not as good optimized is Kingdom Come Deliverance. Its a real highlight if you like RPGs and anything medieval! And by now it is patched very good. Don't really run into any issues anymore.

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I usually play 1080p 144hz 144fps for MP games but im good with 60 fps on single player games, I have no desire or need for higher resolutions but I like to futureproof myself

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Wolfenstein reboots are all really good man enjoy !

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I agree but I want to max Cyberpunk out I feel this is the game ive been waiting for my whole life since ive been a huge huge fan of cyberpunk worlds since I can even remember and the fact that my favorite developer is making it is even a bigger plus for me. Probably will be first and last limited edition game ill ever buy.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

In the cyberpunk gameplay demo they used an GTX 1080Ti. I have a feeling that the game will be optimized to run Ultra in 1440p on around that kind of hardware.

How much do you want to spend on a graphics card? Also, if you use anything stronger than an RTX 2070 in 1080p your 9700k will bottleneck the card.Those cards are just too strong for 1080p. You will have so many fps that the 9700k will bottleneck the cards....

I think its time to up the resolution....you have a nice processor...take advantage of it. Get a card of at least RTX 2070 level and start playing in WQHD 1440p. Its worth it.

If you only want to play in 1080p, get yourself the RTX 2060 for $350. This is a beast for 1080p and this will definitely play any game of the next 2 years without problems in max detail in 1080p

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Yeah I know I even downloaded RAW 17 GB demo because of my love for the game :D . Money is not really a question if I want to I can buy 2080 Ti but I just don't want to. The prices are extremely stupid, this is the same reason why I went for i7 instead of i9, as a gamer I just wont pay 130€ more for same gaming performance. I paid 480€ for R9 290x back in 2014 and the card held up unbelievably well so I never had any regrets. I would like to make a purchase like that again.

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

My desk is too small for 24 inch + monitors, im a student and my room is extremely small so everything is basically packed really close together. I will move onto bigger monitors one day just not right now, but I used amd´s upscaling function and you definitely see a difference on bigger resolutions, the edges are really smooth so I get why people play games like that. Maybe ill try some SP games played on higher res when I get my next GPU

But I want my next monitor to be a wide one with good HDR support

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

mjbn1977

Distinguished
the thing is, if you don't play in a larger resolution there is no reason to get anything above a RTX2060. You only need to spend more money if you want to play WQHD or 4k.

Maybe you want to look into the smallest Ultra Wide QHD monitor that you can find. Then combine that with a RTX 2070 or 2080, or a Radeon VII if it has to be AMD (but the RTX 2080 would be the better deal). Don't spend the money on a RTX 2080Ti if you not planing to play on a large 4k display in 4k. It would be a waste of money.

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Tbh the RTX 2070 was basically a done deal for me but I really like the RTX 2060, damn ill need a good thinking

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Which of the nvidia brands are great? I heard bad things about MSI Plastic backplate and Gigabytes faulty cards, I always wanted Evga card for some reason but im really out of the loop as far as nvidia goes

mjbn1977

Distinguished
My MSI has a metal back plate. It really depends what model you looking at. The top 2 card manufacturers are either ASUS or MSI.

The MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z 6 GB is definitely a pretty good one. It has a metal back plate. Check out the review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2060_Gaming_Z/

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014

This one would cost me 380 € while The MSI Armor RTX 2070 (TU106) would cost me 449 €. damn that's not an easy decision :D :D

hard to say bro. just that when it comes to AMD lower your expectation a bit and you might not be disappointed with it later.

I mean, think about it. They just released a $700 card that just barely competes with the RTX 2080. There is no way they will throw a Navi card for less money with more power on the market just 6 month later.

and yet some people still believe AMD will release $250 Navi with the performance of Vega 64 in january just a few weeks after launching RX590 with the price tag of $275.