[SOLVED] Do you think this will work fine?

May 29, 2020
I have a Dell Inspiron 5537 brought in 2014 that came with a 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz Samsung as stock.
A few months ago, I upgraded to an additional 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Hynix stick. (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B016Z5VB38/)
I'm now planning to replace the 1TB WD HDD with a 1TB SSD (make & model undecided) to boost speeds.
Before doing that, I thought of upgrading the ram to its maximum supported capacity of 16GB(2x8GB) since they are very cheap now (I had gotten the 8GB Hynix stick for ₹1968/US$26).
I was unable to get the same Hynix stick so got a 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Simmtronics instead for ₹3664/US$48.5. (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07C4WKJR4/)
The Simmtronics stick shows a blank manufacturer name in CPU-Z but the chips on the stick read 'SEC 446 HYK0' which looks like Samsung.
Will the Hynix and Simmtronics sticks work well together?

Here's my UserBenchmark test result: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28718878
Here are the CPU-Z screenshots: View: https://imgur.com/a/fz3wyQa

Solution
Since this is DDR3, you shouldn't have any issues unless that Simmtronics is a fake/knockoff/ripoff garbage. I would trust a used module that is genuine vs a new one that behaves shady like the one you have.

But in India nothing is genuine and fakes and scams are everywhere, so if it works and you can return it for a warranty if it fails, then you should be alright.

RealBeast

Titan
It is not possible to predict the outcome of mixing memory sticks, even from the same manufacturer. It is usually more likely if they have the same timings, speed, voltage, and memory rank.

Although it often works, memory makers only guarantee sticks purchased as a kit.

Since this is DDR3, you shouldn't have any issues unless that Simmtronics is a fake/knockoff/ripoff garbage. I would trust a used module that is genuine vs a new one that behaves shady like the one you have.

But in India nothing is genuine and fakes and scams are everywhere, so if it works and you can return it for a warranty if it fails, then you should be alright.

Solution
May 29, 2020
It is not possible to predict the outcome of mixing memory sticks, even from the same manufacturer. It is usually more likely if they have the same timings, speed, voltage, and memory rank.

Although it often works, memory makers only guarantee sticks purchased as a kit.

Thanks a lot for your answers, guys! So, I got another exactly identical Simmtronics module (They don't sell kits). It's got the same manufacturing year and week. The Simmtronics one doesn't seem to be fake since they have a manufacturing facility in India and provide a 3 year warranty. Anyway, to me that's better than a fake RAM with a big name on it. It now registers as 2x8GB rather than 2 individual 8GB sticks.

Since the system is almost over 6 years old, I don't want to spend much so I'm good with this setup assured for another 3 years. If I check the other reputed brands, each stick is between ₹8k to ₹12k and here I got 2 sticks for ₹7300.

What do you guys think of the Crucial MX500 1TB SSD? I planning for the SSD upgrade in a couple of months.

Thanks a lot for your answers, guys! So, I got another exactly identical Simmtronics module (They don't sell kits). It's got the same manufacturing year and week. The Simmtronics one doesn't seem to be fake since they have a manufacturing facility in India and provide a 3 year warranty. Anyway, to me that's better than a fake RAM with a big name on it. It now registers as 2x8GB rather than 2 individual 8GB sticks.

Since the system is almost over 6 years old, I don't want to spend much so I'm good with this setup assured for another 3 years. If I check the other reputed brands, each stick is between ₹8k to ₹12k and here I got 2 sticks for ₹7300.

What do you guys think of the Crucial MX500 1TB SSD? I planning for the SSD upgrade in a couple of months.
Excellent! Great to see some good local resources for components. :) If we still had our manufacturing here in the US, we wouldn't have the fakes problem like we have here. I think you're solid on the ram now. :)

As far as SSD, this is a rapidly changing market so if you're looking to buy in a few months, look at models that are available them as the current ones will be old ones by then.

May 29, 2020
The Crucial MX500 1TB SSD is a very good inexpensive SSD. My wife uses the 500MB version.

Excellent! Great to see some good local resources for components. :) If we still had our manufacturing here in the US, we wouldn't have the fakes problem like we have here. I think you're solid on the ram now. :)

As far as SSD, this is a rapidly changing market so if you're looking to buy in a few months, look at models that are available them as the current ones will be old ones by then.

I apologise, I'm not as active here as you guys.

What you suggest makes sense, the Crucial MX500 is a good choice now, but I should look at the market when I actually get one.

A little update on the ram -
I just searched for the part number (S939A2SGS-ITR) from CPU-Z and the first hit was this -
That's the actual ram manufacturer and Simmtronics just re-brands it with a label and still provides a 3 year warranty. That's sweet in my opinion.

I'm using the setup for the past 10 days (got the first stick about 5 days prior to the second one) and see no issues so far. Obviously the system's running smoother than when I just had 4GB. And, I almost use my system for 12-14 hours (work+leisure) everyday and had kept it running overnight once or twice when I had some long processes running. No BSoDs.

Bottom line, thanks for helping out and making my decisions easier. :)
Cheers and stay safe!

View: https://imgur.com/a/acB4V7s

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS