Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the heads up btw. Just got home and decided to try installing aviator since you mentioned it. I like it pretty well now. I also set it up how I have chrome set up. So I have duckduckgo as my home page, and as default search engine. I added adblock plus and selected for it to disable tracking, social media buttons and any sites it does not like, I left the other 2 add ons that came with aviator alone. So far seems to behave like chrome, so going to keep test driving it and see what it does.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

I've found Aviator to be the best Chrome-variant, for both performance and security. There could be another one that I'm not yet aware of; but this one is definitely my favourite, for the time being. For ad blocking, I'd always recommend AdGuard (I've found it performs better than AB+), but AB+ is decent enough for the more seasoned users.

The best part of Aviator, that I've found, is the option to spoof your browser. I haven't tried this on many things that matter (like spoofing IE for a work related thing, so to speak), but I have a feeling it would work pretty well for that job. It hasn't failed me yet. The only reason I'll use Iron more is because I like some websites to keep me logged in. I use Aviator for the more shady, or potentially risky, websites, though. No problems to report.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
For me Norton is good enough.. been using Norton for 4 years.. rarely do it turn my machine off.. just shut down the monitor off at bedtime.. as I get older my adventurous surfing is way down.. Norton rates sites on search engines.. didn't like it at first.. but do take there warning seriously.. having suffered so many times.. in dealing with Trojans.. once had 30 Trojans was a (record) at the puter shop.. I had to take the machine in and paid 60 bucks an hour to rid myself of the little digital creatures. If lose a whole hard drive from some virus.. you learn pretty quick not to trust free antivirus.

I had an old computer.
Specs,
Intel Pentium III 533 MHz,
256 MB SDRAM,
20 GB HDD,
Some old PSU,
Some old mobo,
It came with Windows 98.

My parents bought it when I was born(2000)! It never had an anti-virus as it was already very slow. Once when I scanned it just for fun with Comodo Dragon Anti-virus+Firewall it had about 6000+ viruses total when it was about 5hrs into scanning with only about 25% completed! I think it is really a world record! :) It had Windows XP SP2 at last.

Sold it for about Rs.800 in exchange for another in 2009.(About $12) :(

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

That was the puter shop that had told me about the record.. was like 5 years ago.. none since.. Two thousand.. wondering what was in his image files.. hehe

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

This phrase, substituting Norton with any AV software, is usually followed by my question... "Based on what?" Most AV software won't tell you that it isn't finding things, because it can't. Since most users don't get a second opinion, and aren't educated enough, or don't put in the effort to find out whether their AV software is truly working for them, they never know if their software sucks or not. Norton users often come to me for help (as well as Avast users). Symantec just isn't a company to trust with security, as they have a history littered with security flaws. if you actually have your computer double checked, and it always comes up clean, I'd genuinely be surprised.

Paid software rarely works much better than free software... if you care to do a little research.

30 is a low-ball average for the comps I've worked on.

Comodo has a reputation for a high number of false flags and false alarms. After researching, I found the vast majority of "infections" it found on my system, over a couple years, were not infections at all.

Avik Biswas

Honorable
May 7, 2013
After reading all this thread, i finally decide to give Bitdefender another shot, as i had it on windows 7 and it messed up my windows 7 drop shadows(still i used it for 1year!!), since i am on windows 8.1 thought it would be a good idea to give it a shot and damn installation is just horror movie!!

I have used some of the best antivirus and internet security, here is what i found:

Norton 360 = Easy to use and install, Really Fast, and top rated by AV-TEST (my sister's laptop use this, and my favourite).
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 = Installing this is a Nightmare, Super Fast, Looks badass, and this THE TOP-RATED AV-TEST product for years.
Kaspersky 2013 = It is good, but i had some issue with it's update, one of the bad update caused it to freeze whenever check for updates :(
McAfee = Probably the worst, i haven't found any plus point yet :|

i find Norton 360 has the best of everything yet light or no impact on performance at all. I love Bitdefender as it looks really good, but why is it so hard to install!! god knows?? Other than that Bitdefender is my go to product, but i never recommend this to any one as its installation is cubersome. all of my friend use Norton 360, and they love it.

Been using Aviator browser for several days now and I really like it so far. Thanx, Skylyne!

Here's a really good deal:

AVG Protection 2015 1-Year - Download $7.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832620139&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL121614&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121614&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121614-_-EMC-121614-Index-_-SecuritySoftwareDownload-_-32620139-S2A10A

In stock. Limit 5 per customer.

Anti-Virus
Online Shield
Data Safe
Anti-Spam
Enhanced Firewall

Unlimited Devices (WOW)

Price expires at midnight, Dec. 22nd pacific time.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

I don't move on from the important things... like proper security. I care because I have to; my identity was stolen a few times, and I'm willing to bet it's still being used to this day. I'd rather not move on ;)

Don't know why people have problems installing Bitdefender. Some software needs a clean computer for the install, and most people don't really know how to fully clean their computer. Could also be some sort of filter driver conflict, or some conflict with the way it's written, and the latest updates in Windows?

Sounds like a good deal, but AVG is another iffy one... kind of like Avast. Kind of difficult for me to call it good lol.

And yeah, you're welcome, mate. Aviator definitely is a nice browser, and seems to have the best combination of speed, functionality, and security of all the browsers I've seen. FF is a joke, Chrome is horrid, IE is taking the piss, and just about every other browser I can think of isn't even really worth mucking around with. There are a few Chrome variants that are notable, but most of them are not much better than the original, or they have a lot of background junk.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

That's very interesting... Have you contacted BD directly, and asked if it's just a bug that will get fixed?

Kaspersky is a very good virus protection, I will certainly give it that. However it does cost the $60 so that's the downside, but if you ask me it's one of the more secure. Currently I use Malwarebytes free version, I don't really pay attention too much to virus protection anymore. If you really want to stay safe from viruses, simply watch what sites you go to, and watch what you download.

From a programming aspect (since I program quite a bit), I find it hard how a virus protection can really do too much. For instance, it really would need to modify other programs such as browsers in order for it to secure web browsing since they are independent programs. I don't know too much about VP anyways so maybe I shouldn't be talking :p

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

in a nutshell why is Aviator so great?

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
After doing some quick reading on Aviator.. yep I can see the good points.. tho doesn't store passwords.. ya gotta type in pass's every single time... boring.. truly you gotta be super paranoid to go through the hassle .. I use ghostery and Adblock and use chrome 99 percent of the time.. even shop online.. fairly offend.. Amazon and I are on a first name basis..

If your flying under the radar.. well.. you should invest in your own server.. and do allot of moving around.. hard to keep tabs on you.. if your on the move.. Its just to easy getting tracked these days.. no matter what your defenses are.. look at the guy that invented silk road.. to guy is now doing time.. ran his underground site.. from some library in SF. The Feds caught in the Act while fiddling with his page.

Status
Not open for further replies.